Pro-100 ICC profiles question

HomerS

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430, Pixma Pro-100
I'm happy to say I snagged one of the Pro-100s with the recent rebate. I have ink and a re-setter coming from mikling but in the meantime of course using the canon ink. Haven't had a chance to profile anything yet with my colormunki so I'm using profiles the canon software installed. I print almost exclusively from qimage and when I go to pick a paper profile - I see something curious in the "description" - not the file name.
Here is an example: "Canon Pro-100 <LU> 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Luster" and then a second one "Canon Pro-100 <LU> 3 Photo Paper Pro Luster". Same is true basically for all the different paper types. Anybody know what the 1/2 vs the 3 means? Obviously means something if you are printing from the canon software but since I have several kinds of canon paper on hand and some canon ink to use up thought I would ask. Thanks.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Later when you have switched completely to PC inks ( at least two or three refills ) the use PC's custom profiles for the PC inks. They are better that what I or you can produce with our Colormunki Photo.
Unless you think that the model to model variability is such that you feel the need to make profiles specifically to your particular printer. I actually do not feel the need to do so at all.

Last edited:

HomerS

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430, Pixma Pro-100
Thanks Joe! I thought you would probably know. From what you are saying and what I've read in other posts - sounds like the PC ink is so close to the Canon ink I can just fill on top of it and let it purge through - with the exception of the yellow.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Correct to a certain point.
Unlike sponge less carts that basically allow you to mix 100% of the ink added with the residual ink that might still be present in the cart, sponge based carts like Canon's tend to slowly soak ink from the liquid chamber and enter the sponge from the bottom toward the top and hardly mixing with the ink still left in the uppermost portion of the sponge close to the air vents. Exactly how long or how many full refills will it take before one can be 100% sure you have eliminated ALL of the original ink? I really do not know. That is why the Yellow OEM mixing with the PC Yellow ink "Gelling" reaction is such an unpredictable "Time Bomb".

Mikling has a ton of data on this!

Other folks here with a LOT more expertise than mine can probably answer that in much greater detail.
Does one have to worry about that too much? Probably not. As the PC inks seems to be pretty identical in color and other characteristics.
Only by beginning with totally purged carts can one be assured of not mixing any OEM inks with the PC inks. Again, it really does not matter much with PC inks.

As you mentioned, you only have to worry about beginning with a fully purged Yellow CLI-8 ( or any other color ) cart and transferring the original CLI-42 chip on to it.

Joe

Last edited: