Pro-100 DPI Setting

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
What dpi should I use when printing? This is a crazy printer. It thinks it can print 4800 x 2400 dpi; I don't even know which dimension is which.

For this specific application, I'm printing to a slightly custom frame; I want the width to be 8.25". The length will be cropped to fit so that won't enter into the dpi calculation. The image width is 3456 px which works out to exactly 418.909 dpi. Should I round to the lowest 100th, 400 dpi?

Title: Coffee on Beans
SPCC Award 9 of 10
Category
: Seen From Above
Contest Date: May 2016
MG_1357-Edit.1_fb.jpg

The story is a laid newspaper down on my bedroom floor with the tripod above and the camera mounted below. It took a while to get it right. I kept having to run to the store to buy more coffee beans.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
what program are you using to do the formatting for the print ? Typically you would define the outline dimensions and the program or the driver do the up- or downsampling to the actual print resolution. The print resolution of Canon printers is typically 600 dpi, or 300 dpi for lower quality settings. But each of these dots have a color, this color needs to be rendered from the available inks and different drop sizes, this is done within each pixel with the max resolution of 4800 x2400 or similar. But you as the user do not have access to this resolution, that would come to microfilm quality.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Microfilm quality, ha ha ha, like molecule sized?
Okay, so in the Lr Print module there is a Print Resolution field measured in ppi. It's not a drop-down; it's just a numeric field. So, I could put in 418 but I figured 400 would be best because 100 is a common denominator.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not using Lightroom but Qimage for print output. If that field is the destination resolution you may enter 600 dpi so that the driver does not need to do another resampling to the genuine printer resolution. Does Lr give you any option of the resampling method ? But let's wait for somebody more knowledgable to respond to your question.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Blah! I printed using 400 ppi. There is resampling option in Lr. There's Color Management, but I just used Managed by Printer and drilled down into the driver and selected the paper that most closely matched what I was inserting into the printer.
But, I used Red River Paper from a sample pack, UltraPro Gloss: it came out dark. Since that problem doesn't seem to relate to this thread, I'll ask it if I can't figure it out. RRP has color profiles I can download.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don’t bother doing anything with my prints, I set my paper to whatever size I want, (A4) and let photoshop take care of everything and just hit print, but then again, I’m not fussy.

Funny how it works easy for me...
Capture.PNG

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
That's helpful.
I have seven different types of photo paper. That's odd for someone that's never owned a photo printer.
Correction: Eight, I found a box of Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy 100 ct.

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
That's helpful.
I have seven different types of photo paper. That's odd for someone that's never owned a photo printer.

You confusing DPI ( ink Dots Per Inch ) with PPI ( I age Pixels Per Inch ) Set the out put resolution in LR to CANON's Native Resolution of 300.
Let LR do all the work upsizing or downsizing to whatever final size composition you set up. Paper size / Cell Size.
There is really no need at all to even do math!

Print it.
Done!

Joe