1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Health & Safety and 3D Printing.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Pro 100 and fine art/matte paper

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by j.saenz, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Jul 15, 2015
    j.saenz

j.saenz Getting Fingers Dirty

Printer Model:
    Pixma Pro-100
    How many of you print on fine art, cotton rag or matte paper? I am looking for some recommendation as to what works well with the Pro-100.

I contacted Red River about a few of their papers wanting to buy samples of five different but was told that they don't break up sample packs. Might just bit the bullet and order a sample pack of papers that I am not interested in to try the few that I am.

I've used Moab Somerset Museum Rag which is a thick rag paper, it is truly beautiful for portraits but its very pricey too.

Emulator likes this.
  2. Jul 15, 2015
    Mags

Mags Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    epson 9880, 9890, T7000
    Hahnemuhle is brilliant but also pricey. Fotospeed papers are good, many people dont know that only a few places make paper most others are rebranded ;).

Emulator, The Hat and j.saenz like this.
  3. Jul 16, 2015
    rodbam

rodbam Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
    I have good results with Canon Fine Art Matte Natural & also their Fine art Bright, both 100% cotton papers which I think are made by Hahnemuhle. Bought from B&H.

Emulator, j.saenz and The Hat like this.
  4. Jul 16, 2015
    Mags

Mags Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    epson 9880, 9890, T7000
    I use a media which is made by Hahnemuhle (non branded) but fraction of the cost however its in rolls only

Emulator likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2015
    j.saenz

Printer Model:
    Pixma Pro-100
    Yesterday I scored two boxes of Hahnemuhle Bamboo 13x19 for $30. One box is new, unopened the other only had 3 sheets missing.

I also scored multiple boxes of Ilford smooth pearl in various sizes from 4x6 to 13x19, Moab Lasal Lustre 11x17 with 45 sheets as well as about 10 sheets of Hahnemuhle canvas in 8x10 also for $30.

Color me excited! I think I'm going to have to order more ink from PC sooner than expected.

If anyone has any experience with the bamboo or the canvas I'd love to hear your input!

6. Jul 17, 2015
    3dogs

3dogs Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
    No but dont let that put you off. A local Artist/photographer has and liked it...also she did some really interesting work on genuine Japanese watercolour rice papers it thin and film like looks almost like soft tracing paper. It is expensive here but the images off her Pro 9000 are really something else.
    One thing with the watercolour style of paper, please use a fine mocro fibre cloth and wipe both sides of the paper to pick up loose fibers......they can and do build up on rollers and wipers on the capping station...
    Saves a lot of messing about later on

Cheers
    Andrew

Emulator, j.saenz and The Hat like this.
  7. Jul 17, 2015
    j.saenz

Printer Model:
    Pixma Pro-100
    Last night I printed 6 images with the 11x17 Moab Lustre. It is a very subtle lustre that is almost matte. I like the final print with this paper, although it did print slightly darker than my file it's something that I can easily adjust. The Moab has less sheen than the Ilford Smooth Pearl. Next up is the Hahnemuhle Bamboo. I have a couple of images that think will look great with that paper. Last week I did some work with a dancer, we shot on location near The Arts District in downtown LA. The soft color palette aside from her dark dress I think will print well on the matte bamboo paper.

Emulator, 3dogs and The Hat like this.
  8. Jul 27, 2015
    j.saenz

Printer Model:
    Pixma Pro-100
    In case anyone is curious. Here is what a print on the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Bamboo looks like image.jpg

fotofreek, Emulator, 3dogs and 2 others like this.
  9. Jul 27, 2015
    3dogs

3dogs Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
    I like the look of the blacks.... will have a try myaself on your say so - thanks for that.

j.saenz and Emulator like this.
  10. Jul 27, 2015
    Roy Sletcher

Roy Sletcher Indolent contrarian Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

Congratulation an impressive result.

Maintaining texture and tonal value with black on black imagery is one of my biggest challenges. A real test of exposure of the image, careful post processing, and controlled printing techniques. It is not easy.

RS