Pro 100 – Squeeze Bottles – German Method – Yellow

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have used the German method with syringes for a long time with both a Pro 9000 II and my current Pro 100. I find the method to be vastly superior to the top fill method because it is so fast and clean and no drips or spills.

Some have reported problems with this method, either at first or at some later date. If you are having any problems with this method, it may be caused by the needle. I don’t know where I got my first syringes and needles, but the needles were 18 gauge blunt tip and two inches long. They never caused a problem.

Then came the squeeze bottle. That seemed to be great idea. I ordered a set of the Precision Colors caps to convert the bottles to the squeeze method. These caps came with 20 gauge needles for use with the German method. Without much thought I started using the 20 gauge needles. They seemed to work pretty well, but were prone to getting bent. As they became bent, it got a little harder to get the needle fully seated.

Then we had the yellow issue. I got two CLI-8 carts and prepared one for the German method after exchanging the chip from the CLI-42 cart and resetting the chip. The existing needle was bent more than my others, but I proceeded to try to fill this new yellow cart.

First Problem
It was more difficult to seat this needle than any others I have used, but I final did get it to work by creating the correct path for the needle by using a spare 18 gauge needle – worked like a charm with the first try.

Then using the squeeze bottle with the 20 gauge needle, I started trying to fill the cart. The ink ran in. The ink ran out. What is going on? As you might know, the cart is turned upside down when refilling with the German method. I discovered a hole on the top side of the cart with the word “flush” beside it. I didn’t know about that hole in the cart and thought about a good way to seal it. Then I remembered that I had ordered a complete refill kit from Precision Colors that had plugs for use with the top fill method. One of those plugs fit properly and stopped the leaking problem.

Second Problem
Now the 20 gauge needle just wouldn’t go all the way into the cart and seat. OH! I have a supply of 18 gauge blunt nosed needles, two inches long. I replaced the 20 gauge needle with the 18 gauge needle, and the insertion and seating problem vanished.

Complete Solution
If you want to enjoy the German method, use 18 gauge needles. I replaced the eight 20 gauge needles with 18 gauge needles and reset and refilled all eight carts with no problems.

After the job was complete, I got a perfect nozzle check.
Just remember, German Method, 18 gauge needles!

Good Luck!
Wil