Pro-10 problem printing in art paper mode in custom size (on Mac)

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
I have encountered this issue in Windows too. When you select one of the Fine Art papers in the driver (that includes Canon mate pro Premium ) you are limited to a paper size with 30mm borders and there’re only five to choose from : Letter, 11x17”, A4, A3 and A3+
You cannot use any other size, included custom. Scale to fit won’t work either. The Pop up warning dialog would appear again requiring you to select the “correct” size for Fine Art (i.e. one of those five with 30mm. borders)
This has nothing to do with Photoshop. It's imposed by the Canon driver for the Pro10 ( other printers may behave different). I wouldn’t know if there's a workaround for this issue in a Mac computer. In Windows there isn't.
For 12x18” paper the only thing to do would be to select 11x17” and accept the waste of one extra inch of paper as the lesser evil.

Jtoolman - a guy who has a lot of youtube printing videos, apparently was able to print on Canson Watercolor 12 x 18 - in Art Paper mode from windows. I do not know however, how he was able to pull that off.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@The Hat :
I see that you’re the kind of person that won’t waste his time crying over what has no solution ( i.e. pesky Canon drivers ).
You're quite right. It isn’t worth complaining in vain, but sometimes I need to rant a bit over those questions. At least “they” will know that we’re not contented with their absurd restrictions (that is, if Canon knows about this forum, that I’m 99.99% sure they don’t, but you never know ..:D )
If I ever purchase some Fine Art paper, don’t doubt that I’ll try every combination of paper setting to see which is best. I own a Color Munki Photo that works quite well for printer profiles, in spite of the rather pedestrian software. I’ve had before a Datacolor SpyderPrint and it was way worse in color accuracy.

@Jim Darski :
For what you say it seems that Windows and MAC computers behave likewise in this matter. No way to override the paper size restrictions if you set Fine Art paper on Canon’s driver. I suggest again that you select ‘11x17” 30mm. border’ as size, being the closest to your 12x18”. It's very possible that Jtoolman did this when he printed on watercolor. We should ask him.
Beware: if the width of the actual paper doesn’t matches the setting, the Pro10 won’t let you print unless you deselect “detect paper width” in one of the custom configuration tabs.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
if Canon knows about this forum,
Rant away @Artur5, that’s what this forum is for, but if its to get Canon to change the way they conduct their business, forget it, they are all technicians and have no interest in your printing needs, O’ and Canon do monitor this forum and many more like it...

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
@Jim Darski :
deselect “detect paper width” [/QUOTE]

Where do you find that setting?

And yes, when it comes to Canon - well - I do believe that a professional printer like Canon Pro-10 should have no limits like that. It is designed for artists who have different needs and need to be flexible. That's why we pay tons of $ for it and the inks. :rant

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just how do you get to that Paper Setup page? When I click on print, it does not open any OS print panel. It sends it to the print queue without any additional step. And there is no Page Setup button in the Photoshop print panel. It's all done through the Print Settings, as far as I can see. Any idea?
Photoshop in Mac has a different setup to photoshop in Windows, there are two different Print Tabs, so your print size in windows/Photoshop can be set in Photoshop but on the Mac you can only set your Page size.
Capture10.PNG Capture11.PNG click to enlarge

Before you print go to your printer preferences and make the paper size the same as you have just set in Photoshop, when both are set the same then it will print for you, I have been away from Mac printing for quite some time, so forgive the forgetfulness on my behalf.. :(
That's why we pay tons of $ for it and the inks. :rant
You’ve got to be joking, because printer and paper prices on this side of the pond are 400 to 500% more than what you pay in the US..

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
Photoshop in Mac has a different setup to photoshop in Windows, there are two different Print Tabs, so your print size in windows/Photoshop can be set in Photoshop but on the Mac you can only set your Page size.
View attachment 7939 View attachment 7940 click to enlarge

Before you print go to your printer preferences and make the paper size the same as you have just set in Photoshop, when both are set the same then it will print for you, I have been away from Mac printing for quite some time, so forgive the forgetfulness on my behalf.. :(

You’ve got to be joking, because printer and paper prices on this side of the pond are 400 to 500% more than what you pay in the US..

Printing must be an prohibitively expensive hobby in Europe. But even in the US. I still can't quite justify why I bought this printer instead of going to my local Walgreens store to print for a few cents per print. It's just that I needed to print some illustrations and artwork which I needed a bit more control. Well, control is something I can't clearly get right now. :barnie

Anyway, I'm away from my printer now. Will check that later this evening. But as far as I remember the Photoshop print panel looks different now. There is no page setup. Instead there is "print settings" like on your Windows pic. And by clicking "print settings" you enter the printer panel in which you set the paper size. I don't know if there is any other way to set the paper size at this point...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't know if there is any other way to set the paper size
Try FILE on the top task bar in Photoshop and scroll down to where it says Page setup..
Unless you get the O/S Page set and the printer page setup the same, you’re wasting your time trying to print..

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
I did set it up to 12 x 18 in Photoshop / File / Page setup. Did not help.
To just give you some more info - the original PSD document initially had a different size. Even then I was able to print it out without any problem on Pro-10. As long as I selected matte paper (no 30mm boarder needed). Then the custom size of 12 x 18 worked out. But if I select art paper - no go.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

Cinevit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
It works with matte paper settings. But I do want to print in art paper setting in custom 12 x 18 in size using OEM inks. Don't want to swap cartridges. I'm fine with the 30mm boarder. Looks like this is not possible though - not with custom paper size.