Pro 10 cyan issue

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have the printer, connected it via USB.
One of the cartridges is empty (still the setup cart) - 17 flashes code 1698 and usual message on PC.
But I can't disable it with the resume button as mentioned in the manual - and as with all Canon printers.

I would like to double check before I order a resetter and ink.

The printer can see it is a setup cart. Suppose they can be refilled, never saw this mentionned.

Thanks for helping.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One of the cartridges is empty (still the setup cart) - 17 flashes code 1698
Replace the empty ink cartridge. This should remove the empty ink cartridge error message.

Maybe the Pro 10 is smarter than typical Canon inkjets in that it senses no ink in the cartridge and is protecting the print head from burnout by not allowing an override.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The manual only mentions the possibility to use the resume button when the empty status is detected while printing, not when a cart is empty on startup.

Well, that's why the printer was sold.
I ordered the resetter an ink with octoinkjet.co.uk.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@palombian, When an ink cart has never been replaced and is flagged empty, you cannot continue to print even by pressing the resume for 5 seconds, but if you remove the empty cart and then put it back in again it will then show an 1699 error and at this point you can press the resume button for 5 seconds to continue to print…

You might as well refill the cart once you have it out of the machine, and then run a nozzle check… Hope you get a good nozzle print...;)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Could I risk a few ml 9500 ink ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Why not, that’s what you’ll probability be purchasing anyway..:)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
My impression has always been that disabling ink monitoring, by pressing resume, was possible when a cartridge is declared empty, whether if this occurs while printing or detected at startup by the printer.
Reading the manual though, I m not positive anymore because the text is rather ambiguous.
Quoting the manual for the action to take when error 1698 occurs (17 blinks),

“if printing is in progress, stop printing, replace the ink tank and rerun printing.
To avoid printing problems, such as mixing inks, this printer is designed to stop printing by causing the Alarm lamp to flash seventeen times when the remaining ink level in a tank is less than the amount of ink necessary to maintain the quality of the printer and printing”.

No mention of disable ink monitoring in this case.
Instead, for error 1699 (always exhausted ink, but 18 blinks ) the manual says :

Stop printing, replace the ink tank and restart printing. Be sure to replace the empty ink tank before printing again.
A tank that was previously empty has been installed.
If you print with the ink out of print, it could cause printing problems such as ink blending or a printer malfunction.

If you wish to continue printing, deactivate the remaining ink level detection function. To deactivate this function, press and hold the RESUME / CANCEL button on the printer for at least 5 seconds and then release it. *

* This operation will deactivate the detection function of the remaining ink level of the indicated tank. Disabling the remaining ink level detection function will be memorized.
Canon is not responsible for the malfunction or problems arising from continuing to print or refill the ink
”.

My interpretation of the above text is that error 1699 occurs when you install an empty cart and 1698 when the cart goes empty while printing is in progress but, in all logic, disable monitoring should be possible in both cases.
Anyway, I wouldn’t bet a penny on my explanation, it might be the other way around. Canon is Canon, you know ..:rolleyes:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@palombian, When an ink cart has never been replaced and is flagged empty, you cannot continue to print even by pressing the resume for 5 seconds, but if you remove the empty cart and then put it back in again it will then show an 1699 error and at this point you can press the resume button for 5 seconds to continue to print…

You might as well refill the cart once you have it out of the machine, and then run a nozzle check… Hope you get a good nozzle print...;)

PRO10_20191103.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
My impression has always been that disabling ink monitoring, by pressing resume, was possible when a cartridge is declared empty, whether if this occurs while printing or detected at startup by the printer.
Reading the manual though, I m not positive anymore because the text is rather ambiguous.
Quoting the manual for the action to take when error 1698 occurs (17 blinks),
Here is a satisfactory explanation made by Canon regarding a first time empty cartridges and how to deal with it…

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg