Pro 1 Maintenance tank Up-date.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes there is, and it does it very thoroughly too, BUT there is always a but because where do you think all that waste ink is going ?

Sys Cleaning.jpg Click to enlarge.

You'll be dumping about 195 ml of ink into your waste box unnecessarily and that is a very bad thing, because that only speeds up the time that you will be required to take your 70 lb.hunk of a printer to the Service centre, and your machine will automatically do a Sys clean @ 45 days old itself also.

The change over to 3rd party ink will be gradual and you’ll probably not notice any huge change in your output anyway and if and when you do then you can then begin the process of profiling, it would be better to wait rather then dumping all that OEM ink.

I’d would love to take the 9500 off your hands because I have a :bow fetish for that model :love but I am on the wrong side of the pond so will have to for go the opportunity this time..:(

PhotoPharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1, canon pro 9500mk2
Ok... so the used cartridges came today... put one in, and it was still showing low ink warning on the ones I replaced (I just swapped out the chips, figuring that the printer would recognize the chip as new, and start it's countdown from there)... Are these chips different from other cartridges, and they store the ink level on the chip, and not in the firmware of the printer?

If they're all showing a low ink warning, how do I go about doing a NORMAL head cleaning?(much less a deep clean)

PhotoPharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
One other question... I thought once you turned off the ink monitoring (by holding the resume button for 5 sec...) that it was supposed to stop asking you? However, my printer keeps asking me to push the button with EVERY print?

What gives!!! GRRRR...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You’d be better off just using the used cartridges rather than swapping the chip because it won’t make ant difference which cartridge you put that chip on, it will still show low ink.

The information is stored on the chip and it’s irreversible and not on the EPROM inside your printer, you should be able to run a normal head clean when a cartridge shows low ink !
I thought once you turned off the ink monitoring (by holding the resume button for 5 sec...) that it was supposed to stop asking you?
Ahh welcome to the world of the disabled ink monitoring, now that you have done that you will be plagued with warnings of doom and threatened with imminent danger and failure of that ink nozzle because of what you have done, which of course is total rubbish.

It’s much better to run the printer with the low ink warning or compatible cartridges than to disable the ink monitoring because of all the propaganda your subjected to, it gets very annoying to have to continue pressing the resume button 4 or 5 times just to get the simplest of things done.

The answer is buy much cheaper compatibles or get a dozen sets of one time chips and refill your OEM cartridges for sanity reasons, as you are now finding out.. :(

PhotoPharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the latest firmware... When I try to run the cleaning cycle, the message on the screen says "The ink level in the following tank(s) is too low to perform a cleaning operation. If you continue to print, they may run out." then it lists every tank that is showing up as low ink.

My photo black seems to have stopped printing :-\, and not being able to clean it in order to prime it...

Any thoughts on where you can buy the chips? I don't know if I trust Ali Baba, but that's the only place I've seen them...?

Thanks for everything!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK you seem to be having several things happening all at once and having the latest firmware doesn’t help either, in fact it can hinder you even more so.

A low ink tank normally doesn’t prevent you from running a cleaning cycle but if any of your other tanks have had the ink disabled then all head cleaning will cease till that situation is corrected, the printer has a built in battery and remains live after power off.

If the printer has indicated that your Photo black ink has run out then all print functions also will be disabled till you replace that cartridge with another one.

When an owner interferes with the normal day to day printing routine, like disabling ink monitoring the printer will retaliate by wasting a lot of time and your precious ink on you so you won’t make that mistake again, it’s the way that Canon maintains overall control.

I have done just about all of these thing you speak of and got a bloody nose for my troubles too, the machine can be unbelievable cute and now I use one time chips and refill my OEM cartridges, this way I am back in control and everything is running as it should, normal.

The only place to get the one time chips from is Alibaba, they are 100% trustworthy, and I have used them many times before for a lot of supplies..

5128_pro_1_inks2.png

PhotoPharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Alright then, I'll take your word for it :) I'm placing my order now... Wish me luck!

inkyhands

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-1
Mr Hat, thank you for all the great information on this printer! I recently joined, though have been visiting on and off since I got my Pro-1 ...well it was inevitable. -> B500 ink absorber full error code. I would like to actually follow your route and take this thing apart. Not much choice but to try at this point.. I'd be interested to find that service manual as well. Any info on this greatly appreciated!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi @inkyhands and welcome to PrinterKnowledge, where we always try to serve up the best quality information.

It’s a bit of a bummer when you get that crazy message and it looks like you can’t do anything about it, but first are you sure you’ve gotten the correct error code, because ink absorber full code is [5B00] and [5B01] Orange LED flashing 7 times, if so then I reckon the previous owner got the 80% full notice and wanted the printer gone. !

The B500 code is in fact an Ink supply pressure error, Orange LED flashing 8 times, so let’s hope it’s not that because that’s the real expensive one to repair.

If you’re correct and the ink absorber tank is full then you can enter Service Mode using a Service Tool and reset it, at least that way you can continue to print for a while till you decide what you want to do about it, bypass it yourself or return it to a Service Centre. !

The Service Manual for the Pro 1 has some mistakes in it and it’s not 100% reliable, so if you wish to dive in and try a rescue yourself then PM me (Conversation), and I can take you through each step so you know what your up against, (Photos and detailed instructions)

Here’s how to enter Service Mode

1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume button, press and hold the Power ON button.

(DO NOT release the buttons.)

2) When the Power LED lights up in white, while still holding the Resume button, release the Resume button. (DO NOT release the Power ON button.)

3) While holding the Power ON button, press the Resume button 5 times, and then release the Power ON button. (Each time the Resume button is pressed, the Orange Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in white.)

4) When the Power LED lights up in white, and is steady the printer is now in Service Mode operation and you can use the Service Tool to carry out the necessary steps, (Afterwards) by pressing the Power button once you’re finished using Service Mode will return the printer back to normal user mode (Power off)
-------------------------------------------
NOTE:- Make sure you have the Service Tool App. first before you enter Service Mode because entering Service Mode several time without actually doing anything can result in you been locked out of Service Mode permanently (Requiring a trip to the Service Centre)

Further:- Don't mix up the two different operations one is Service Mode and the other is Service Tool, please read up how to use this Application first because it can be destructive..