Pro 1 Maintenance tank Up-date.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I went and bought the Service manual for the Pro 1 printer the other day which make for interesting reading 99 pages in all,
there were two things that pop up which I found a bit odd and worrying to say the least.

Firstly there is no ink Maintenance tank fitted into this printer at all, I originally taught there was (Totally naive),
just the bog standard everyday ink absorber pads, so much for it been a high end printer, a Pro 1000 would be more like.

5128_capture_2.png

What looked to be an ink tank on the right side of the printer turned out to be a mist fan unit and motor,
so I bet pharmacist wont be happy with this news either.

5128_mist_fan.png

If you want to change these ink pads yourself then its going be a bitch of a job even if you do get (Buy)
these lifting handles which are necessary by the way as this printer weighs in at 35 Kg.

5128_handles.png

Canon recommend to change the pads at 80% and not wait for warning notice to appear, heart attack warning more like it.. :( :barnie

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
There is no reason why you cant route the tubes to an external container when the printer is new, the less mess the better.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile said:
There is no reason why you cant route the tubes to an external container when the printer is new, the less mess the better.
I only wish that could be done. :drool
You completely missed my point with this big beast of a printer.

You'd have to take the thing apart to do this and thats the trouble, its not like the average run of the mill printer where you just remove the top and side covers to lift the chasse out.

With this thing youd have strip down a lot of parts just to gain access before lifting the chasse out to get to the ink pads and at 35Kg. its not that simple.:barnie

For such a top end professional printer not to have an easy replaceable maintenance cartridge is just totally unacceptable and remember this thing can dump 50/60 ml of ink in just one clean cycle and 100 ml in a deep clean.

Theirs is no alternative but to send it off to a Canon Service Centre to have the job done by them and we all know thats not a good idea either,
letting them get their hands on your precious printer which would incidentally be out of warranty by then.. :hit

My conclusions..

Cut your losses and dump the printer and getting a new one would be a cheaper option
than receiving an overpriced Service charge plus P&P and then to be told that your printer cant be repaired.. :th

Foot Note:- Recycling is the new alternative these days, Green planet and all that..

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am so happy I bought the Epson R3000 instead: external waste ink tank, refillable and resettable cartridges/CISS and same print quality with less cartridges, so less refill ink to buy.

Legislation should be endorsed to force printer manufacturers to install a end-user removable maintenance cartridge on printers starting from A3+. Now even spoiled and wasted ink is a source of profit for these manufacturers.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have cut the plastic on the exact location the drilled holes and routed the tubes on models with hard access to the tubes. You must know where to cut and dill holes. But since you have a service manual with picture that is not a problem. Warranty will be voided but who cares about that if you are going to print that much the printer will pay for itself very fast.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile said:
I have cut the plastic on the exact location the drilled holes and routed the tubes on models with hard access to the tubes. You must know where to cut and dill holes. But since you have a service manual with picture that is not a problem. Warranty will be voided but who cares about that if you are going to print that much the printer will pay for itself very fast.
I dont want to cut into my printer at all, but with your suggestions and prodding
I may well have to take the plunge and have a go at it,
anyway all I wanted to do was print and not feck around with the waste ink on this beast. :lol:

Its suppose to be peace and tranquillity to print not hard work, :fl
I've just finished converting my 4700 over to using CLI-8 carts and was looking forward to a bit of me time darn.. :pop

As Arnie says I'll be back..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
With dremel type of tool and metal cut off disk it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to mod.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile said:
With dremel type of tool and metal cut off disk it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to mod.
Not on the Pro 1 it isnt if you look at the photo in post #1 youll see that the ink pads are housed in their own separate Tray which is up inside the printer and not next to the bottom..

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
If it's that hard to get to the purge tubes then the only way is to dismantle it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile said:
If it's that hard to get to the purge tubes then the only way is to dismantle it.
Unlike the standard desktop printers The Pro 1 has its own built in CISS, and the purge unit is stationed on the right side but it pumps the waste out into the middle of the printer and not directly below the purge unit, I am still investigating the location of this waste pipe.

As I said earlier dismantling it is not an option, more like a joke to tackle it unnecessary,
I'll wait for the waste tank to fill, which will take four years at my present usage, and then it will be time for a new printer..:)