PRO-1 - Is the print head dead?

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
I've been using this printer for many years with never any issues but now the MBK and CO won't print a correct nozzle check. I have been using Precision Color signature inks for about 2 years, again, with no issues, until now. I have already tried most of what has been suggested in other posts: checking the ink cart for air, cleaning, deep cleaning, and a system cleaning. Nothing has helped. Is there anything else to try to clear the nozzles?

Attachments

• img233.jpg
    img233.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 235

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
First you must be sure that the MBK cart is OK. Have you tried at least two different MBK carts ?
If you did so and also all kind of regular machine cleanings and nothing helped, in all likelihood the nozzles of the MBK channel are electrically dead.
Not so clear with CO. The CO stripe is made printing two vertical patches of Chroma optimizer over a MBK regular stripe. Therefore if MBK is dead, it will show also on the CO stripe., but you should see two shinny vertical bands on it. I don't see them on the picture you posted, but sometimes it's hard to see them on a small scanned photo. It depends on the scan settings.
Nevertheless, if those MBK nozzles are dead it won't matter much whether CO is OK or not.
I'm afraid that your problem will be expensive to fix. Let's see what our Pro-1 expert here (@The Hat ) will say about it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is there anything else to try to clear the nozzles?

No...
I am a bringer of bad tiding I’m afraid, the MBK block on your nozzle print looks Fecked, and you have done all that is possible to clear the issue, but you have electrical failure just in MBK block 3, the CO block is fine because it never clogs, it’s just the background that’s missing.

You have a very small print count for having the machine for that many years, how come ?, do you not use it very often, all dough PS inks do work fine, but you need to use the printer more often to keep it from clogging up when using any 3rd party inks.

There is nothing you can do yourself for the printer, it needs a new print head, it’s a long and costly affair to change the print head yourself, it is possible but even more costly to send it to a Canon service Agent.

There’s transport, all new cartridges, waste pads, new print head and software reprograming, total is anyone guess, an estimate would be required be before sending for service to know what you’re up for, but you do get an almost brand new printer back.

P.S. O’ there is some good news, you can still use the printer for your colour and B&W photos on glossy paper only, the issue with the MBK won’t affect them in any way.. Sorry..

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
No...
I am a bringer of bad tiding I’m afraid, the MBK block on your nozzle print looks Fecked, and you have done all that is possible to clear the issue, but you have electrical failure just in MBK block 3, the CO block is fine because it never clogs, it’s just the background that’s missing.

You have a very small print count for having the machine for that many years, how come ?, do you not use it very often, all dough PS inks do work fine, but you need to use the printer more often to keep it from clogging up when using any 3rd party inks.

There is nothing you can do yourself for the printer, it needs a new print head, it’s a long and costly affair to change the print head yourself, it is possible but even more costly to send it to a Canon service Agent.

There’s transport, all new cartridges, waste pads, new print head and software reprograming, total is anyone guess, an estimate would be required be before sending for service to know what you’re up for, but you do get an almost brand new printer back.

P.S. O’ there is some good news, you can still use the printer for your colour and B&W photos on glossy paper only, the issue with the MBK won’t affect them in any way.. Sorry..
As it turns out, I have an original OEM Canon replacement print head. I had some issues with the printer when I first got it and Canon ended up replacing the printer under warranty and included a new print head in the box with the replacement, which I have not needed to use. I am fairly advanced in tech repairs and would be comfortable with DIY repair if possible. Is there anything more to the procedure besides the head swap? You mention waste pads and software reprogramming.

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_092930-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210430_092930-01.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
UPDATE -
Now it's giving the B200 error when I power on.

Attachments

• b200-error.png
    b200-error.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 240

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The good news is a head replacement is all you’ll need to get it back into working order again, all the other items are only done by Canon in their service Dept.
Now for more bad news, that Pic you posted of the print head and box, that looks not to be a genuine Canon head, because there’s no hologram on the lid, and the other sticker should not be on the front .. note the differences..
Capture.002JPG.JPGCapture001.JPG
click to enlarge..

Again why so little printing on this print head in all the years .. ?

P.S. you can’t change a print head when you have any errors displayed, the printer won’t allow it..

Last edited:

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Well it came straight from Canon USA warranty dept., so have to assume it's a legit unit even if the box doesn't match exactly with a current retail unit. What about the B200 error? Wouldn't I have to clear that first before head change? As for reason for low print count, lack of time sir, only for lack of time to print more! Hoping to do more now going forward.

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Okay, well I have spent my Saturday following The Hat's excellent documentation on disassembling the Pro-1 and changing out the print head. Got it back up on the table and powered on and connected to the computer. No errors, everything looking good. Everything going as expected so far. Printed out a nozzle check and saw streaks in the same 2 colors, MBK and CO. Did a cleaning cycle of group -3, printed another nozzle check, and it's worse!!! WTF?

Attachments

• WTF-Pro-1.jpeg
    WTF-Pro-1.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 233

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Okay, well I have spent my Saturday following The Hat's excellent documentation on disassembling the Pro-1 and changing out the print head.
Sorry to say, but you didn’t follow any of my instructions because if you did you wouldn’t have got to the point you’re at now.
Printed out a nozzle check and saw streaks in the same 2 colors, MBK and CO. Did a cleaning cycle of group -3, printed another nozzle check, and it's worse!!! WTF?
Maybe you’ve got a duff print head as I originally suspected, because Canon print heads only come in a box with a hologram on the top and no self-adhesive label on the front, it could be the reason why you’ve got such a poor nozzle check..

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Using the replacement print head I had, which as I said came straight from Canon USA in 2014, was my only shot once the B200 error appeared. If it's a naff unit, than well, I tried my best. But it sure is a strange coincidence the same 2 colors are still having the same problem as before. I'm ready to try whatever you recommend, but I have to work with what I have. Thanks.