PRO-1 - Is the print head dead?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My advice… ?.. Get a second-hand Pro 10 or new Pro 300 printer, it will be far cheaper in the end..
P.S. the Pro 1 is a heartless bitch that loves to destroy the mind..

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Sorry to say, but you didn’t follow any of my instructions because if you did you wouldn’t have got to the point you’re at now.

Maybe you’ve got a duff print head as I originally suspected, because Canon print heads only come in a box with a hologram on the top and no self-adhesive label on the front, it could be the reason why you’ve got such a poor nozzle check..
Just curious:

Is there nothing significant to the fact that the same 2 colors were a problem on 2 print heads while the other 10 colors were fine? Could the problem lie elsewhere in the ink system.

Other than using a replacement head that you thought might not be legit, what did I not follow? Am I missing something here?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it sure is a strange coincidence the same 2 colors are still having the same problem as before.
If the print head is presumed in good working order, then what other things could be the cause?

Clue: The first nozzle check after the replacement print head was installed printed more MBK ink on the paper (albeit incomplete) than the second nozzle check.

Did you follow @Artur5 's advice?

Most likely reasons for loss of ink on a nozzle check:
  • Bad print head
  • Malfunctioning or empty cartridge
  • Tubing from cartridge to print head obstructed
  • Logic assay board malfunction

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
If the print head is presumed in good working order, then what other things could be the cause?

Clue: The first nozzle check after the replacement print head was installed printed more MBK ink on the paper (albeit incomplete) than the second nozzle check.

Did you follow @Artur5 's advice?

Most likely reasons for loss of ink on a nozzle check:
  • Bad print head
  • Malfunctioning or empty cartridge
  • Tubing from cartridge to print head obstructed
  • Logic assay board malfunction
Yes, checked carts for any issues. They were filled using the same process (Jose Rodriquez's process from youtube) as all the other colors, and that I have been using since switching to PC Signature inks. Tubing looks fine as far as I can see. No obvious obstructions. But, yeah... that second nozzle check is a big red flag of something. If there's a logic board malfunction, well then that's probably game-over.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes, checked carts for any issues. They were filled using the same process (Jose Rodriquez's process from youtube) as all the other colors
:he

Since you are repeatedly ignoring sound advice from this forum in diagnosing your printer problem then I recommend you discuss your problems with Jose or a Canon service center.

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1

Since you are repeatedly ignoring sound advice from this forum in diagnosing your printer problem then I recommend you discuss your problems with Jose or a Canon service center.
Whoa! I thought I had carefully replied to each piece of advice I have gotten here with a description of what I have done and tried and the results. Can you please state what *exactly* I am repeatedly ignoring? Thanks.

blurrylens

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1

Do you mean the advice to give up trying to find a fix and get a new printer? I may end up doing that, but first I'd like to pursue repairing what I have if I can.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
what *exactly* I am repeatedly ignoring
Again, Artur5's advice. In fact I'll do it one better. Buy a NEW never used MBK cartridge to see if that resolves the issue. Do not use any used ones. If nothing else you will have ruled out cartridge failure. "Checked carts for any issues" does not sound anything like you tried a new never used cartridge.

I don't know what advice Jose gave you.
I don't know if you properly understood Jose's advice.
I don't know if your refilling technique is appropriate.
I don't know if there is an issue with your ink - desiccated, biologic contamination, etc.
I cannot examine your printer, cartridges or your refilling technique.
I only know what you communicate on the forum and it is not entirely reassuring to me.

It has been posited on a very small data set that an electrical malfunction in the print head can be propagate to the logic assay board and vice versa. This means that if your logic assay board has an electrical malfunction causing your issue that a new print head may have the electrical malfunction propagated from the logic assay board to the new print head. Game over for the new print head.

Not saying this occurred with you but it is a consideration and reason to rule out a cartridge malfunction that might be easily resolved with a new never used cartridge.

One thing to try is to clean off the electrical contacts on the MBK cartridge and corresponding contacts on the print head in case there is oxidation. Use a lint free cloth or paper towel with Isopropyl alcohol. A soft pencil erasure may work, too. Look for any broken or misshapen contact areas causing improper contact between print head and cartridge. Make sure the contact between ink exit port on the cartridge and the ink inlet portion of the print head is a good seal (compared to the other cartridges) and without deformity or missing any parts. These things may cause poor or no transfer of ink from the cartridge. Last, make sure there is no ink on the external areas of cartridge, print head and printer. These are indicative of leaking ink.

You are rapidly reaching the end of home troubleshooting.

livingstone

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
CanonPro100, Pro1, Epson3800
Do you mean the advice to give up trying to find a fix and get a new printer? I may end up doing that, but first I'd like to pursue repairing what I have if I can.
Contact me if you still have your pro 1 hoping for a fix. If you can obtain a good printhead for it I can give you a very simple method of exchanging the printhead out yourself!

Latest posts