Printing on CDs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If the operation is a success you can also use the printer for plain paper documents
Masking has been used to block transmission of a fault in order to bypass recognition of an error that would otherwise lead to cessation of printing. The affected nozzles do not regain function with masking.

OP indicated he has function of Pigment Black. The issue is function of the Dye-based inks.

Not sure how masking contacts will bring back Dye-based function in this situation unless there is some specific heretofore unknown way to allow pinpoint blocking a portion of the Dye-based circuit while allowing one (or more) of the hypothetical still functional Dye-based signals to transmit.

CD/DVD printing requires use of Dye-based inks. OP's dye-based inks are nonfunctional, a print head, logic board or both failure. Unless something is different nowadays concerning the function of disk printing, then the odds of successful masking in this specific circumstance approaches null based on current information known.

I hope OP finds a way with masking. It would be excellent knowledge for the forum.

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg5350 & ts6250 & MX870
Masking has been used to block transmission of a fault in order to bypass recognition of an error that would otherwise lead to cessation of printing. The affected nozzles do not regain function with masking.

OP indicated he has function of Pigment Black. The issue is function of the Dye-based inks.

Not sure how masking contacts will bring back Dye-based function in this situation unless there is some specific heretofore unknown way to allow pinpoint blocking a portion of the Dye-based circuit while allowing one (or more) of the hypothetical still functional Dye-based signals to transmit.

CD/DVD printing requires use of Dye-based inks. OP's dye-based inks are nonfunctional, a print head, logic board or both failure. Unless something is different nowadays concerning the function of disk printing, then the odds of successful masking in this specific circumstance approaches null based on current information known.

I hope OP finds a way with masking. It would be excellent knowledge for the forum.
Thanks for the summary, correct - I think - in every way.
The penultimate paragraph leaves me despondent, which is only slightly countered by the wish to succeed in order to fulfull the final line! However I feel unqualified to understand and master the electronics of the printhead, but I have a multimeter, and am willing.
The news is that I have been given a very close cousin, the MG5250, but it is showing a 6C10 error, so I'm currently getting lost in all the posts about that problem!
John

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
You are in competition to become the Patron Saint of Broken Printers!

Service Manual for the MG5250. Search for "6c10".

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XikXTzfB3hRKPOfjkWupmawLBR-cK-lP/view

In the following video, read the first comment to see his many potential fixes to try.

If you decide to take apart the printer then photograph every step along the way, including orientation of the part.
😇 😀
That accolade is safe with you guys!
Thanks for the link to the manual, (and always good to have anyway).
I'm thinking of doing some cleaning first, to absorb excess ink from the area. Is that pointless? (Knowing that disassembly is not going to be quick or easy.)
Oh, and, is it bad to move the printhead across the printer by hand?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm thinking of doing some cleaning first, to absorb excess ink from the area. Is that pointless?
It is one of the recommendations in the first comment in the YouTube link. Make sure the print head, especially the circuit board and contacts, are dry before re-inserting. You do not want to electrically short out things.

is it bad to move the printhead across the printer by hand?
Not when done properly. As the recommendations from the video's comment says, power on the printer, lift the lid as thought to replace an empty cartridge, let the print head move on its own and stop in the center, pull the electrical plug from the outlet. The carriage will remain in the center till you plug the printer back in and power it on. Now you can more easily check out the purge pad area (the place the print head parks above when not printing).

That accolade is safe with you guys!
You have nothing to worry about. There's plenty of people way far ahead in that race to the bottom. ;)

JohnBB

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
It is one of the recommendations in the first comment in the YouTube link. Make sure the print head, especially the circuit board and contacts, are dry before re-inserting. You do not want to electrically short out things.

Not when done properly. As the recommendations from the video's comment says, power on the printer, lift the lid as thought to replace an empty cartridge, let the print head move on its own and stop in the center, pull the electrical plug from the outlet. The carriage will remain in the center till you plug the printer back in and power it on. Now you can more easily check out the purge pad area (the place the print head parks above when not printing).

You have nothing to worry about. There's plenty of people way far ahead in that race to the bottom. ;)
(I'm away for the weekend, I'll be back to bother you all again, no doubt!)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
....OP indicated he has function of Pigment Black. The issue is function of the Dye-based inks....

I should have read the first post again before I answered. I just assumed that B200 meant the printer was dead. I didn't remember that the OP had made the printer print with PGBK only by masking some contacts.

You are right that the printhead cannot be used for CD printing then as the dye section of the printhead is causing the problem.

@JohnBB The MG5250 and MG5350 use the same QY6-0080 printhead, so if the repair of the MG5250 is unsuccessful then you could try the printhead in one of the MG5350s. If you are lucky you will have a working printer, If not I suggest to dump the 3 printers.

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
CD? Ah vaguely remember them, (Coaster Discs). They are shiny on one side and you put that side face down and then put your cup of tea/coffee on it to avoid marking the desk.

I jest, I have a cupbaord with several boxes of blank CD's and DVD's but the last tiem I uses one was about 6 years ago.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I use CDs on the terrace, hanging freely from a thread. Sun reflections on them keep away the pigeons ( up to a point). For that job, the shinier the better. :rolleyes:

Before that I tried bird repellent and a dummy falcon, without success. The dummy scared the pigeons just a few days, but afterwards they perched cheekily on top of the falcon, while proceeding to drop their 'load'. :mad::D

Latest posts