Printhead covered in ink

jmark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi there

I've benefited from the wisdom of this forum for ages, so much so that I havent needed to ask a question until now.

I've a Canon Pixma iP3000, I refill with Hobbicolors ink using the German method. Over the last while the cyan has come to dominate and the head needs cleaned frequently before printing. When I took the printhead out and looked it was completely covered with cyan ink. Has anyone else had this problem, its as if the ink is just running straight out of the cartridge.

Or is it the problem at all?

Thanks in advance

Mark

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Are you using Canon cartridges? If not, what brand?

And yes it is a problem.

jmark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Don't you still have the original cartridges that came with the printer? I would advise putting new Canon or at least refilled Canon cartridges in to see if that clears up the problem. I have had problems with third-party cartridges and even though I have a bunch of unopened ones, I don't use them anymore.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
jmark,

using the German refill method for NON OEM cartridges is not recommended, because the sponge structure is inferior and less dense then the original ones. Another advantage of using original Canon cartridges for refill is the capability to flush them completely until immaculate white for the dye ink cartridges. Most aftermarket carts remain somewhat stained after flushing and this will deteriorate with them and after several refills. Also the pressure balance is much better and unrivaled.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
best carts for refilling are original canon carts as noted by pharmacist. I also threw away all my aftermarket carts - some still filled with ink.

jmark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you ghwellsjr, pharmacist & fotofreek - you are superb!

I'm off to buy some canon cartridges then - or is there any way to get cheap empty ones?