Printer suitable for 1,000 plus greeting cards per week

theweesparrow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P600 Epson ET-7550
I'm happy to hear anything constructive.

theweesparrow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Happy to hear suggestions.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Happy to hear suggestions.
Ok..... So you said that your current Eco Tank printer can only handle 4-5 before it "Grinds to a halt"?
Could you elaborate on that?
I am trying to figure out what would cause that.
I think the ET8550 would serve well.
Keith Cooper who has probably done the most extensive series of tests has shown how well. it performs with greeting cart stock.
Inks even original are probably the lowest you can get. So printing cost should not be an issue.
How good are these inks?
Well they are not going to be the best dye EPSON may have produced.
But from a performance level they seem to do a very good job.
On average here in the USA 70ml bottles go for about $19 which is a bit more than cheap non OEM equivalents.
I think there might be something mechanically wrong with your current ET printer. It should be able to print and print.

theweesparrow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the response - yes on the ET7550, if I were to send, say, 10 cards to print, the first 4 or 5 cards would print as expected and then the 6th card would be very slow to print (and would blur at the edges). The 7th card might print after 5 minutes but again it would be very slow. So, what I do is send 5 cards to print, wait for 5 mins after they've printed and send the next 5 and so on. It seems worse when the card is full colour and I can only send 3 or 4 at a time. I tried to research to see if I could find anyone else having the same problem but couldn't find anything.
I hesitated about the ET8550 because I thought I might have the same issue. Epson were no real help because I've had conflicting messages - one was that the printer didn't have enough memory(?) and the other was that the printer head could be over-heating but neither of the folk had come across that problem before.

Grazer5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Ricoh Pro 7100S
Sounds like your printheads are overheating. Where I work, they tried Epsons years ago and had all kinds of troubles with them. We currently run 40 Canon Pro-100’s with refilled carts and we run all day long, two shifts actually.

LazyHeat

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10 Pro100, HPDJ500
Hey, I use a very similar 300 GSM creased paper by Felix Schoeller Tech Papers, but I went with a Canon color laser printer for greeting cards, and I haven't looked back. I also created my own ICC profile for the paper, the results are quite surprising. The OEM toner is dirt cheap in comparison to even OEM inks. And the speed--no comparison.

LazyHeat

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10 Pro100, HPDJ500
Ok..... So you said that your current Eco Tank printer can only handle 4-5 before it "Grinds to a halt"?
Could you elaborate on that?
I am trying to figure out what would cause that.
I think the ET8550 would serve well.
Keith Cooper who has probably done the most extensive series of tests has shown how well. it performs with greeting cart stock.
Inks even original are probably the lowest you can get. So printing cost should not be an issue.
How good are these inks?
Well they are not going to be the best dye EPSON may have produced.
But from a performance level they seem to do a very good job.
On average here in the USA 70ml bottles go for about $19 which is a bit more than cheap non OEM equivalents.
I think there might be something mechanically wrong with your current ET printer. It should be able to print and print.
Hi, Jose,

I had this same "slowing down" thing happen with an old small format desktop HP photo printer. In my case, it appeared that the vertical feed motor would overheat under continuous paper feed use, and after about a dozen sheets it would slow to a crawl. Might have something to do with a bad motor, or something in the gearing that is putting too much resistance on it. I never investigated it too closely (I just chucked the printer), but you could feel unusual heat coming from it after a dozen sheets.

Lttrprss13

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Letterpress Printer
Hey, I use a very similar 300 GSM creased paper by Felix Schoeller Tech Papers, but I went with a Canon color laser printer for greeting cards, and I haven't looked back. I also created my own ICC profile for the paper, the results are quite surprising. The OEM toner is dirt cheap in comparison to even OEM inks. And the speed--no comparison.
What Canon laser do you use?