Printer is wrinkling and also folding corner on top right paper when I print from tray

mileena

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageClass 5770
I have a Canon imageCLASS 5770 all-in-one monochrome laser printer running on Windows 7 that I bought in 2006.

I had always used Canon and Staples brand toner cartridges, and it was fine. Last year I used one discount cartridge from Amazon, and it was also fine. I recently just tried two separate SpeedJet discount cartridges from Amazon, and that is when I began to have problems after printing a few hundred pages.

Printing from the manual feeder is fine. But occasional pages from the paper tray started wrinkling when I printed them, and toner was spilled on the top left corners of the pages and sometimes the top right corner too. So I cleaned the rollers, just above the printer tray, and in the cartridge area, and wiped up all the toner. I also cleaned the outsides of the toner cartridges themselves with isopropyl alcohol and a micro-fiber cleaning cloth. And I cleaned the paper pick up area in the front of the tray. This worked for about 10 pages, and now it is always folding the upper right corner of the page and sometimes even printing askew with wrinkled paper. One time the paper was torn and left partially in the tray. I hear the paper wrinkling as it is near the toner cartridge.

The paper I use is about 6-10 years old, as I was able to buy reams and boxes cheap from Staples back then, but it always has been fine.

Again, printing from the manual feeder is perfect, other than toner stains on the upper paper corners.

Is this problem the discount toner? I have tried two cartridges, as they came in a two-pack from Amazon and the same thing. Or is it the paper?

Or is this the printer? Did I damage the rollers by cleaning them? The Canon manual doesn't tell you how to clean them (but HP does) except it says be careful not to touch the delicate pins on the side. by the toner cartridge.

Should I just go ahead and buy a new all-in-one laser?

Thank you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@mileena, If it were me, I’d blame the paper, copy paper must have very low moisture content and when it doesn’t is preforms in a similar way to some of the problems your experience..

The only time paper gives trouble in a laser printer is when it’s cut incorrectly, paper can be undersized but never ever oversized, this can happen at the mill or if it expands from been left in a poor or open packet when in storage..
Try using paper from another known good source..

mileena

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageClass 5770
Thanks The Hat! I will try to get a new pack and try that. I will let you know how it goes!