Printer ignores .jpg files

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You’re obviously having a problem with your O/S and you keep blaming it on the printer for whatever reason, if it were the printer then it wouldn’t print at all, a JPEG can be like a postage stamp on a letter, but that doesn’t mean the mail will always get there.

As your having this problem with only one format then the answer is to change that format, and in the long run it would be quicker to convert the JPEG to Tiff, BMP or PNG to print rather than be chasing your tail..
JPEGs are a great and widely used format, but they have their limitations and you may have found one..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I did find and install the appropriate driver before I even knew there was a problem.
From Canon, no support of Linux-based OS'es. Maybe Canon released a driver since they created their web page?

Screenshot_2019-04-06 Canon PIXMA MG2550S - Inkjet Photo Printers.png

Click here to go to your support page on Canon. You will find a User Manual in PDF format to download. Unfortunately, there is no Linux driver for your printer. So, whatever printer driver you used may only work partially and you are lucky it works at all. Either try the workaround @The Hat suggested or get a different printer. Make sure it has Linux support before buying.

Interestingly, here is a video purporting installation of your printer model with Linux Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16.04. Is that the printer driver and procedure you used?
  • If not then consider uninstalling your printer, rebooting, and then installing as if the first time per the video instructions.
  • If so, then consider doing the same as maybe some was corrupted during the original install.
  • It also could be that your newer OS version somehow is no longer 100% compatible with the driver.
Concerning wireless capable printers... Don't install it or turn it on. How can you tell if it is on? A WiFi enabled computer or device will see the broadcasted SSID name of the printer. By default, the printer's SSID is not hidden so that it can be seen and installed/connected to other devices. Canon typically also offers a way to turn off wireless function in their printers.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks like there are two versions of the printer, MG2550 and MG2550S. I think the "S" model is the newest. For the model without the "S" suffix Linux drivers are available. Notice that you need both a scanner driver and a printer driver. They are available in Debian package format, so no compiling is necessary. These older (?) drivers might work with your printer.

It is often difficult to find a Linux driver for a printer, and those offered by Linux often miss some functionality like showing ink levels, adjusting colour and intensity etc. A commercial solution is to use Turboprint that claims to support all features of the printers, a 30 days full feature free trial can be downloaded. Maybe Turboprint is the solution?

Jason0001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG2550S
Thanks for all that everyone. Quite a lot there to work through, and an unexpectedly busy week, hence the delay in getting back to you.

It does seem that my OS is the problem. They've made too many changes to this version, seemingly for the sake of change itself, and I had to struggle with it initially to get it to do even the simplest things.

I downloaded a driver that said it was for this model of printer and for this OS, but I'll check the links provided in the hope of finding something better.

The problem with converting images to a different format is that I've been a serious photographer since 1964, and I don't even know how many thousand images are involved, not that I intend to print them all.

Another thing is that I "went digital" in 2004, and the cameras create a .jpg by default, with no option to change it.

Thanks again though. I'll try your suggestions and report back here as time permits.

Jason0001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG2550S
Thanks for the suggestion PeterBJ, but I don't think it's going to help because it's primarily about ink levels. I don't have any indication of ink levels either, but with the old HP printer, it would start printing with a pink (or magenta?) cast when the ink was running low.

The driver I found was a .tar.gz archive, and I was prompted to open it with "archive mounter" (or similar wording), but I can't find it now. I've searched the home and download folders (default is set to downloads) with hidden files shown, but there's nothing there I recognise.

Btw, I'll be off-line for the next few days.

Jason0001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG2550S
I think it's time to consider this thread "resolved", though it isn't really.

I can't print a .jpg unless I "disguise" it by converting to .pdf or embedding it in a WP file, but however much I try to "tweak" the settings, everything prints much too dark. My shredder is getting indigestion. ;-)

If - as a test - I try printing any image (any format other than .jpg) on plain paper rather than waste too much photo paper, the print comes out WET with too much ink, though it dries in a second or two.

I've got my answer. Canon doesn't want Linux users buying their products, and I will NEVER buy another Canon printer.

Printers are cheap enough, and I've wasted enough time and resources on this one. It's time to start looking at what HP has to offer.

Latest posts