Printer ignores .jpg files

Jason0001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG2550S
New Pixma MG2550S delivered yesterday. Text and WP files print properly. If I try to print a .jpg (photo) the printer ignores it. If I embed the image in a document file, it will print it, but it's much too dark.

Other image formats (.png for example) will print, but again they're much too dark.

If I change the "Brightness" setting from 1.000 to 2.000 I can get a "reasonably acceptable" result, but colours are still too strong, hardly satisfactory for a photographer with more than half a century of experience.

I don't understand why it refuses to print .jpg files. If I convert the file to a .pdf it prints (still too dark though), but when I try to print a .pdf, the printer just sits there doing nothing, and eventually flashes a light by the symbol immediately below the power button.

In case it's relevant, my OS is (Linux) Ubuntu 18.04.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Odds are it is either your printer driver or the app you are using to try to print the JPG or PDF.

I am not a Linux guy but searching for answers to your questions I see that setting up a printer in Linux can be complicated or not.

Is there a proper driver for that printer model? You obviously are using a printer driver. I didn't see a Linux version for this printer model on Canon's web site. What are you using as a printer driver?

I was able to fins a Linux printer driver purported to be for your printer here. See post #2, but read the entire thread as there may be other useful information.

This link makes installation seem very easy, however it is from 4 years ago and a different version of Ubuntu and maybe slightly different version of your printer ("S").

Recommend uninstalling printer/driver, reboot then reinstall as if for the first time. Make sure using the proper Ubuntu version install procedure, maybe as found here.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I'm no Linux expert either, but I have done a little experimenting with Linux. My favourite is Linux Mint as I think it has got the most Windows-like GUI making it a little easier for a Windows user to get used to. My version is Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia", Cinnamon 64 bit edition. As Linux Mint is an Ubuntu derivative, maybe my findings may also apply to Ubuntu?

I have installed a Canon MG5350 on the Linux computer using the easy method linked to by stratman. The printer worked, B/W text printed OK, but the colours were horrible.
This is the test page, click to enlarge:

MG5350 Linux RGB Color.jpg

And this is a well known test image in .jpg format printed on 4x6 photo paper, click to enlarge:

MG5350 Linux RGB test jpg.jpg

Inspired by this thread I checked to see if I could change some settings to improve the colours and I found to my surprise that the default colour setting was RGB. I changed that to CMYK and the colours were now OK. This is the test page, click to enlarge:

MG5350 Linux CMYK.jpg

And the photo, click to enlarge:

MG5350 Linux CMYK Test jpg.jpg

In this window you can change printer properties, but only for plain paper documents (?) click to enlarge:

MG5350 Linux print setting 1.jpg

You also have to set the properties in the photo print window, click to enlarge:

MG5350 Linux print setting 2.jpg

And also in this tab, click to enlarge:

MG5350 Linux print setting 3.jpg

My Linux language is Danish so the windows contain a mixture of Danish and English, but I hope it is understandable.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
to my surprise that the default colour setting was RGB. I changed that to CMYK and the colours were now OK.
Excellent job, Peter! :clap

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A couple questions for OP:

1) Are you printing over WiFi or from a computer plugged into the printer via USB cable?

2) What applications are you using to print JPG's and PDF's? Have you tried other apps?

Hopefully @PeterBJ 's post will resolve your color issues.

Jason0001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG2550S
Thank you both for your input, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Busy couple of days.

I've changed the colour setting to CYMK, so perhaps that will improve things, but I'm running out of photo paper now, so will have to wait until Tuesday to continue.

I still don't understand why a printer would refuse to print certain file types though, .jpg in the case. Everything else, no problem. .Jpg, it just sits there doing nothing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try opening the Jpeg file again and then save it as Jpeg 2..:hu

Jason0001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG2550S
No. Thanks for trying, but it still refuses to print a .jpg. Anything else, but not that. It has to be intentional on the part of the manufacturer, but why would they do such a thing as to selectively block the most used image format? It doesn't make sense.

I've tried searching for a manual on-line, but all I found was the wordless assembly diagram that came with the thing. They don't even publish a URL for further information.

The 60-page multilingual book (2.25 pages in English) that came with it is concerned purely with the usual electrical safety stuff. No mention of trouble-shooting, error messages or anything else, so it seems there's no explanation anywhere as to what that flashing light next to the "warning triangle" on the unit (immediately below the power button) is supposed to be telling me.

I won't ever buy another Canon printer after this.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I won't ever buy another Canon printer after this.
It's not the printer but Linux that is the foundational issue. However, I do understand your frustration.

Linux users must research whether a peripheral or application can run on Linux before purchase. That's just a fact when using an OS that has little market share to encourage printer manufacturers to provide Linux based drivers for all their printers, at least in a timely manner.

Yet, from one of the links I posted it appears there is a Linux driver for your printer, though it may first need to be compiled. I could be confusing this with some other post I read. :idunno

it still refuses to print a .jpg. Anything else, but not that. It has to be intentional on the part of the manufacturer
No, it is not the fault of the printer, unless you are the sole owner of the only modern day printer unable to print JPGs.

The fault is in your printer driver, your installation of the printer / printer driver, the JPG itself, or the app used to try and print the JPG.

You have not answered my questions above or tried my suggestions. Are you no longer interested in resolving your issues?

Jason0001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG2550S
Sorry. Didn't mean to overlook your questions. Too much going on right now, and the weekend belongs to family, so I won't be on-line much, if at all, until about Tuesday.

I chose the printer specifically because it's not wireless capable, but connects through a USB lead. Some might say it's not worth the trouble to be wireless-free, but I prefer to minimise my microwave exposure.

I've tried printing from Ubuntu's Image Viewer and also from Shotwell Viewer. I even tried GIMP.

I did find and install the appropriate driver before I even knew there was a problem.

Apart from the frustration of having to find ways of tricking the printer into printing a file type it seems to dislike for some reason, the thing I find really annoying is Canon's failure to provide anything resembling proper instructions for this printer, whether in the 60-page book of gibberish that comes with the printer, or anywhere on-line.

Latest posts