Printer grease

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
Thanks, everyone. I did order some from an eBay seller...will post results at a later time.
All I would add to the above helpful advice and information is this:-

About 6 months ago I had the MP600 repaired under warranty for a malfunction in the paper feed path. The repair was carried out at my home by an engineer subcontracted by Canon. The physical fault was found quite quickly but the re-assembly gave further (temporary) faults , during the waiting to "fire up " on each occasion I chatted with the engineer about the Canon machines and their working .

He said that one fault that had been common was that at manufacture some machines had the incorrect grease used on the " lift bar mechanism " (or similar) , this gave an error code of "xxxxxx" , all that was required was that the engineers cleaned off all original grease and used the "replacement" grease indicated by Canon.
They had put out a Service Bulletin to this effect indicating the machines affected and the grease to be replaced, even if the fault was not evident at that particular call out.
Other than that , Canons were " not a lot of trouble." He was a very good engineer , he was here for 3 hours and knew exactly what he was doing, the time was due to having to put the machine completely back together each time to test it.

To summarise my points.:-

a) Even Canon can get it wrong
b) Incorrect Grease can cause a problem with "the lift bar mechanisms correct operation"

I cannot be more specific on the details, I hope you will have no problems in any way with your home servicing, I felt I should pass this on , it may help in your eventual success..

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
headphonesman, that is really interesting ...thanks for the additional info.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
What is the function of the liftbar mechanism? I have a friend's ip5000 that had little use before showing the "paper out" error, even when loaded with paper. I haven't bothered to look at it yet but would like to get it functioning for him. I bought an ip5000 for my wife at the same time, and the only paper feed problem that she encountered was from a push pin falling into the feed area from her bulletin board which is directly above the printer. Difficult to see and remove until I held the printer upside down and shook it.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
AFAIK liftbar mechanism allows cd printing.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Manuchau

Any update on the new grease?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes... It arrived last week. It is called Sleek Silicone lubricant.

I'm using it on one of my older ip3000s which was making a terrible racket. So far, it seems to be working well, and the printer is running smoothly and quietly. I'll post again after a few weeks or so when I give it more time.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Manuchau said:
Yes... It arrived last week. It is called Sleek Silicone lubricant.

I'm using it on one of my older ip3000s which was making a terrible racket. So far, it seems to be working well, and the printer is running smoothly and quietly. I'll post again after a few weeks or so when I give it more time.
You won't be disappointed with the results, like I said before I've been using Sleek for over a year now and no complains this grease works like magic and is really cheap.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Manuchau, do you still like the grease?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes...It has worked beautifully.. I have used it on other printers as well and it has been perfect. Highly recommended.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
my "sleek" paintball grease arrived today for my MP830

any pointers on:

- should the bar be cleaned first, if so how ?

- how much and method to apply grease

- power on or off, also how to get the print head out the the way

much thanks

jim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500, MP830(new spare in box)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics