Printer grease

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I need to lubricate my ip3000 printers, one of which have begun to make squeaking sounds while printing. Does anyone know the correct grease to use for this, where to buy it, and the right way to go about doing it?

Thanks

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
For electronic equipment, I use Electronic Grade White Lithium Grease for light lubrication. They come in a tooth paste type of tube. I have an 85 ml tube. It lasts a long time for me. For the printer, I will put some on the guide that the print head rides on.

8461-85ml.jpg

A multi-purpose lubricant suitable for all moving parts.

Provides superior lubrication and protection against corrosion and oxidation. Reduces friction and wear. Retains consistency over a wide range of temperatures. Great for the lubrication and maintenance of VCRs, gear teeth, cams, and roller guide tracks.

* Off-white in color
* Protects against corrosion
* Easy to use
* Smooth, buttery texture

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8461.html

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion..I'll try to find some in Canada. I remember a nposting about a year ago where someone was talking about a specific "pink" grease that was made for printers and came in a small tube.. Anyone know what was the name of that grease?

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Manuchau said:
I need to lubricate my ip3000 printers, one of which have begun to make squeaking sounds while printing. Does anyone know the correct grease to use for this, where to buy it, and the right way to go about doing it?

Thanks
The appropriate grease is G-26 (dow 26) grease manufactured by Epson, the part # is E-B70260001. You want to use a very small ammount approximately 1/2 the size as the eraser of a #2 pencil. apply it to the top side of the rail and spread. you should just barely see the grease. Never use petroleum based oils in an epson printer. You can do more damage than good. Since I haven't been able to find this grease I been using for the past year paintball gun grease (dow33) on my Epson R1800 and R1900 with excellent results. You can find the paintball grease on ebay but for you convenience I supply you with the link of a seller. Good Luck :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paintball-Smart...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Manuchau I have little to add and was hoping an older member would step in with an exact replacement grease.
Like Panos shows Canon iP4000 manual calls for Floil KG107A, Canon part #QY9-0057-000.
It would be nice to know what is in Floil KG107A. If you are able to find the Floil KG107A I bet it is expensive. LOL

http://www.fixya.com/support/p360552-canon_pixma_ip4000_inkjet_photo_printer/manual-20337/page-18

Slightly off topic but I take my finger and respread the existing grease on the steel bar.
If you have dust or ink contamination this will not work and the parts probably needs to be cleaned and relubed.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Ron. My point in uploading the scanned service manual page was to show the proposed lubrication points and procedures (use a brush to spread the grease). It's quite hard to find the proposed greases, some of them are quite possibly manufactured for Canon only (eg. the EU-1 grease for the shaft has a code QY9-0037)

I think the grease paste proposed by embguy is good considering its buttery texture and applications. It is important that grease does not stain surrounding parts, especially the motion ribbon above the carriage shaft.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I did order some from an eBay seller...will post results at a later time.