Printer Calabrations ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
IMPORTANT UPDATE
Don't by them at this price. €100 is the maximum. EFI ES are OEM devices, all you can do with them by using iProfiler is screen calibration. If you want to do printer calibration too you have to use Argyll (or some other software 😇).
Most of the Xrite branded Rev D you can find are basic with iProfiler. Most people didn'y pay €1500 to update to iProfiler.
No, I won’t invest €500 on a device which probably can’t profile printers without additional software. €100 would be another story of course, but you tell me where to find such bargains..

Changing of subject a bit, what about LED illuminants?. As I understand, they’re supposed to replace in a few years most fluorescent lamps, which use mercury and possibly other components banned by the latest eco-friendly laws.
In fact most, if not all, monitors manufactured nowadays are already retroilluminated by Leds.

Edit:

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 3800, Epson 1400
but you tell me where to find such bargains..
In France look at leboncoin, in Spain you can try vibbo, wallopop or others. In France there is actually one for 66€.

what about LED illuminants?
When changing from (low/medium quality) fluoriscent to LED you will earn a considerable gain in Color Rendering Index. Colours are less subjected to metamerisme.
spectres.jpeg

The orange line is a fluorescent lamp, the white one is a LED lamp. The saw teeth effect in the spectrum provoques higher metamerisme. A good, standarisized, LED ( mine is a low end from IKEA) will just have a mimalistic peak in the blue frequencies. The more strong peaks and lows a spectrum has, the poorer will be the behavior in metamerisme.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Here is an example how an i1Pro is offered on the German Ebay platform

www.ebay.de/itm/EFI-ES-1000-UV-x-rite-i1Pro-Spektralfotometer-Farbkalibrierung-Monitor-und-Druck/184007356489?hash=item2ad7b17049:g:qtIAAOSwRgJXhj7F

The i1Pro is offered as an EFI ES-1000 which as such is o.k., EFI cooperates with X-Rite in this respect and is rebranding the spectro.
The offered unit is claimed as being checked by the dealer whatever that means, he probably just ran the i1Pro diagnostics which is posted as well - something not all sellers do , and the first page of ths report reveals some important info -
617/2006 spot/stripe measurements which is not much for such a unit probably several years old and reports
that the unit is a ref D i1Pro M2 which is the UV cut model with an UV filter to eliminate all OBC effects on papers.
Prices may vary from country to country, I would set up a search inquiry on Ebay or any other platform , let that run for a while and compare prices and technical details - mainly usage - for this period. This test report can be a guidance to compare with other offers. I would not buy a spectro from a seller which is not willing to provide this information upon request. And look specifically for the info whether it is a UV Cut (M2) model or not.

I wouldn't firmly stick to the 100€ limit, the actual usage is relevant, but the requested price is by far too high in this case.

Last edited:

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
He just forgot to say that the provided sofware eyeone-share can't be installed on Mac OS 10.8 and higher and the succes of installation on Windows 8 and higher might be very difficult too. 😇

Even if the original EFI Software will be included, one will encounter the same problem.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Compatibility of outdated software with the operating system is always a problem and goes beyond the included i1Share version included in the referenced Ebay offer which is not supported by XRite anymore since quite some time. I consider most of these offers just as hardware only offers e.g. getting one as a backup or with other actual software which specifically supports that spectro version. All this discussion just shows that there are limits in usage and risks with outdated software and it is not that easy - just get an i1Pro and your profiles are fine.

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
just get an i1Pro and your profiles are fine
Not so easy. You always should ask the licence shipped with the device. If it is a "Basic" licence you can't do much more than calibrate your screen. Same thing if the device was an OEM sold along with a RIP. In these cases you have to buy a RIP with the ability to create profiled AND acceptes the device AND your printer or buy a licence upgrade from Xrite. The upgrade will cost €1500. Ok, it's the upgrade to the highest licence, but do you need all of the functions? Most of the printers in use here at printerknowledge are restricted to RGB by the iProfiler software anyway.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Reporting to the printers mentioned in your signature I suppose your profile are created on the basis of "original" profiles. By this you refine the "original" profile, that's why even a profile created with a Colormunki will give an advantage.

My ink and papers are different, so I made my profiles from scratch with the i1Studio software (2x50 patches - on 1 A4 ;)).

Never tried to refine a profile though.
Are there advantages ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Never tried to refine a profile though.
Are there advantages ?
I don't think so for all practical and private use , I did a comparison and profiled an HP Photo paper both via a patch sheet with 96 patches and one with 283 patches, measured and calculated with the i1Profiler package. When displaying the profiles at horizontal cuts through the gamuts at a luminance of L*=25, 50 and 85 you get this showing that the gamuts overlap very closely. I think these slight variances are not visible in actual prints.
Gamuts at L=85
L85.JPG

at L=50
L50.JPG

and at L=25
L25.JPG

There is not really much you can improve. You might specifically focus on the gray axis for B/W prints and use a B/W test image as a sample image for the improvement cycle.

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
What i wanted to say is that I suppose your method is:
Printing out the target without color management while choosing in the driver settings the paper as close as possible to yours. By this you use the linearization of the existing profile from Canon. (They are very accurate in linearization) and "just" changes the gamut according to the power or weakness of your ink and the whiteness of your paper. The Munki/i1Studio software can't measure a real white point.

Literaly refining an existing profile needs special software and skills as the reading of the new targets printed out with colour management has to be interpreted first and than the reference points are compared. At last an algorythm will change the settings of the reference points in your profile. You can do something similar if you do iteration steps BEFORE you save the profile.