Print streaking

yurkot

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P 700
I have an Epson P700 that has been unused for several months(my bad). Nozzle check showed a couple of colors with some clogging. I placed a folded over paper towel soaked in windex under the print head overnight. This morning nozzle check is perfect. When I print a photo there is faint vertical banding. What causes this and how to address?
thanks

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If the print head is clean, and nozzle check perfect then there can be no banding from clogging, only from bad mechanics or purge unit is dirty and that made you print head dirty too resulting in banding

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the printhead moves horizontally and the faint banding is vertical then something other than the printhead is causing it. Could it be a dirty roller? or maybe a dirty timing/CR encoder strip. See this post about problems caused by a dirty timing strip.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Please post an image of the problem

yurkot

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P 700
Please disregard the sheen, that is light reflection. The whole print looks washed out as well. I got a message that my maintenance box is nearing end of its service life so I will replace it (had no idea it had anything to do with print quality) also, I have a yellow triangle with exclamation mark that yellow ink is low, VLM AND V are low as well. I guess I will swap out those cartridges. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 45

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
These streaks look to be horizontal not vertical. Seem like typical print head problem when low on ink, clogged. If nozzle check is OK, the print should be OK also.

Replace the carts your said are low on ink, also replace maintenance box, check visually the purge unit pads are clean or not with torch etc. You can move print head by hand if you pull the power when printer starts printing.

If the pads are dirty use a lint free paper towel moist with window cleaner to clean them by letting wet paper absorb ink dirt. Do not rub the pads as this will make problem worse.

yurkot

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P 700
First of all thanks for taking the time to reply. I apologize for my ignorance. Yes the bands are horizontal (I guess it matters how you hold the print🤔) I know about disconnecting the power to free the print head but where are the purge unit pads?
thank you

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The purge unit pads are where print head parks when you turn off the printer, most on right side