Bad print head ? - No, dirty timing strip

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A month ago I salvaged a Canon MG5350. I started it in service mode to get its usage history info and see when it was last used. This is the 1st EEPROM print, notice missing PGBK nozzles and vertical margins are wavy. This suggests a clogged print head and a dirty timing strip. Click to enlarge:

1. EEPROM.jpg
The Test print also suggested print head problems, click to enlarge:

1. Test.jpg

I suspected that the non-OEM cartridges installed were the cause of the problems, but they were actually OK, click to enlarge:

Cartridges.jpg

And here is the first normal nozzle check from the driver, notice vertical white stripes in the coloured stripes, click to enlarge:

1. NC after SM.jpg
These white stripes are caused by a "blob" of blackened grease from the print head carriage rail mixed with paper dust. Here is a photo of the timing strip, click to enlarge:

Dirty timing strip.jpg

After having cleaned the timing strip with isopropanol and pharmacist's cleaning fluid I ran a couple of normal, not deep, nozzle cleanings from the driver and got this nozzle check, click to enlarge:

2. NC after cleaning timing strip.jpg

The test print from service mode is now also much better, click to enlarge:
2. Test after cleaning timing strip.jpg

I think the printer was not used because of the problems with the timing strip, and the clogged nozzles were caused by the printer not being used for one and a half year. So one little blob of grease caused the printer to be dumped.

Last edited:

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thank you PeterBJ
for your amazing photos and information. Here is my update.
1. I tried connecting the MP620 via USB cable to an old Desktop. Installed printer ran it and it worked fine. That proved that the timing strip was not at fault. However there must be a problem with the HP laptop. I downloaded various versions of drivers i.e. Windows 7 and 8.1 but it did not make any difference. Other suggestions from the Web did not work either.

The error state remained when you tried to print. I vaguely remembered a canon my printer app which was on my desktop but had disappeared, I managed to locate and install it, connected via USB cable run the test and
hey presto all is fine and normal service has been resumed and the error state removed. I would certainly like your spare timing strip it might improve clanking noises when head cleaning is taking place. How do I contact you. Whilst I have solved the problem, your unstinted help is most appreciated

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Nice to hear that the problem was a software or setup problem and that the printer is OK.

To get the timing strip just send me your name and postal address in a conversation. If you are not familiar with the conversation system then see this post by @stratman for an instruction.