Print quality issue with an Epson Stylus SX235W

Marcus001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson / Stylus SX235W
Hello everyone, I have a print quality issue with an Epson Stylus SX235W.

?I uploaded a scan of a bar code where we can see what type of problem I am facing.
I do not know if this is due to a problem with the printhead or a problem with the displacement of the head.

If anyone has any idea to fix this, thank you in advance.

Marc.

https://www.casimages.com/i/210822105925906908.jpg.html

scan 1.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think you should clean the nozzle plate from underneath - disengage the printhead - turn the printer on and pull the power connector as soon as the head starts moving/leaving the place on the cleaning unit - place a folded piece of kitchen paper into the print path, soak it with a window cleaner and move the printhead over it and let it rest there for a while and then do another nozzle check. You may keep the printhead there over night.

Marcus001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson / Stylus SX235W
First of all, thank you very much for your reply, I will try to clean the nozzle plate from underneath as you suggest to me, but without much hope ....
Do you think this could be from the printhead itself ?
I have already tried cleaning the nozzles by injection of isopropyl alcohol (without success).
I had also thought of a problem with the drive of the print head (belt, stepper motor or slide), but I do not see anything bad there.
Thank you again for your precious help.
Yours sincerely.
Marc

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thre are remnants from dried pigment inks on the nozzle plate and around the nozzle openings, this printer model is about 10 years old, and the WicReset status report would tell you some usage data - printed pages - date of the first setup.
You may try as well to use a higher print quality setting and/or use the matte paper setting to see if there are any differences in the printout.

Last edited:

Marcus001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson / Stylus SX235W
Thre are remnants from dried pigment inks on the nozzle plate and around the nozzle openings, this printer model is about 10 years old, and the WicReset status report would tell you some usage data - printed pages - date of the first setup.
You may try as well to use a higher print quality setting and/or use the matte paper setting to see if there are any differences in the printout.

Marcus001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson / Stylus SX235W
Ok for over 10 years, I'll see if head cleaning works.
For now, I have reset the ink pad collector counter to zero, and put the pads to dry
In any case, i will let you know.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The waste ink pads are in a box accessible from the rear of the printer if I'm not wrong, you just can use kitchen paper towels to fill up that box for the next cycle.

Marcus001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson / Stylus SX235W
I tried to re-clean the head several times, without having better results.
But, if I print in color, the quality is good .....
So, I think the printhead must be really bad !!!

scan 1.jpg

I think the solution would be to change it, what do you think?
I found printheads on the Aliexpress site.

ali.jpg

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You can give it a try to print with the glossy paper setting which does not use the black ink channel.
If you can handle the replacement of the printhead you may do it, but the flat cable re-connection can cause problems as I have read at other locations.

Marcus001

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson / Stylus SX235W
Thanks for all the tips, especially printing on glossy paper, (I didn't know that printing was done in this case only with the color nozzles), the print is perfect like this.:)
I ordered a print head,
I hope I can change it without damaging anything.
I will keep you posted when I receive and change the printhead.
Yours sincerely.
Marc