Power Off Procedure?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am amused by the amount of printer owners that complain about how much ink their printer wastes and try to stop it by printing before the sacred 60-hour deadline.

But if they count how many time the printer does a small cleaning cycle before and after a print run it most likely amounts to the same thing, so the exercise is pointless, and if they are not using OEM ink then why care anyway...

A Printer Potty is essential if you want to know the real story, its the only way to truly measure the amounts exactly and put your mind at rest or pull you hair out if you’re using OEM...

A printer costs quite a tidy sum to own and run, if you care to add up the costs over the years, you would be very surprised, trying to think of ways to save money just wastes valuable printing time... :oops:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I am amused by the amount of printer owners that complain about how much ink their printer wastes and try to stop it by printing before the sacred 60-hour deadline.

But if they count how many time the printer does a small cleaning cycle before and after a print run it most likely amounts to the same thing, so the exercise is pointless, and if they are not using OEM ink then why care anyway...

A Printer Potty is essential if you want to know the real story, its the only way to truly measure the amounts exactly and put your mind at rest or pull you hair out if you’re using OEM...

A printer costs quite a tidy sum to own and run, if you care to add up the costs over the years, you would be very surprised, trying to think of ways to save money just wastes valuable printing time... :oops:

I calculated long ago my printer - without using it - would purge maximum 2 sets of carts a year to maintain itself.
From experience that's not far away from reality.
Even for 1st quality refill ink it is about € 30.
I can afford this for the fun to print at home.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
- I did not print between 240 and 480 hours and switch the printer on
- before starting a print job I change the cartridges
- the printer does a cleaning using 2.5+2.8=5.3ml ink
- I start the print job and the printer sees a cleaning occured 5 minutes ago, hence no further cleaning

If I did not change carts the printer would have entered a cleaning cycle with 2.5+2.8=5.3ml ink before printing.
So the printer can be fooled into doing fewer cleaning cycles, but only during this 240 - 480 hours time frame.

Why does Canon allow this sleight of hand at that stage in automated cleaning cycles but not others? (probable rhetorical question)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why does Canon allow this sleight of hand at that stage in automated cleaning cycles but not others? (probable rhetorical question)
What @palombian, is referring to, his printer will do the normal maintenance clean after a long idle period at start-up and he takes that opportunity to change cartridges, because the printer will not do any extra cleaning due to the cartridge change, it combines them both into one of the same duration...

Smart move... :hugs It’s all a matter of timing, because the printer can only follow it’s built in cleaning procedure.... ;)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
What @palombian, is referring to, his printer will do the normal maintenance clean after a long idle period at start-up and he takes that opportunity to change cartridges, because the printer will not do any extra cleaning due to the cartridge change, it combines them both into one of the same duration...

Smart move... :hugs It’s all a matter of timing, because the printer can only follow it’s built in cleaning procedure.... ;)

I think these figures are more estimations than reality.
How could they project a printer life of 21.000 pages or 5 years ? (they are double that age now, I agree if they mention the printhead)
They also do not mention continuous small purges.

Most important is to change all cartridges at the same time (or at least 5 of the same channel wich in practice doesn't make much sense).
By changing them one by one you would loose 22.5ml in total, 4 times more.
This is not all lost, since any cleaning resets the counter and gives you 60hrs free.

I agree with @The Hat that you should not worry too much.
The advantage of refilling is that you can switch over a whole set of carts, and since most are far from empty your ink bottles level descends much less than 10x14ml (and your bank account less than 10x€11,50 - about the best price for OEM's).

When I had the PRO 9500 I took notes of the number of photos printed. My rough calculations were that with continuous printing you were not far from the projected yields, and when spread over a few months about half of that.
The MkII is much more economic, I really do not have the impression it is sucking all my ink away when printing one or two times a week (photos or A3 office work).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it combines them both into one of the same duration...
What I don't understand is why it works at all. Every other time the cartridge change results in a cleaning cycle, and, as far as has been determined or suggested, the cartridge cleaning cycle cannot be folded into a scheduled (timed) printer cleaning cycle except at the 240 - 480 hour time frame.

Is it a flaw in Canon's programming? Regardless, it is beneficial for refillers who take advantage of it. Be grateful for small blesings.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
What I don't understand is why it works at all. Every other time the cartridge change results in a cleaning cycle, and, as far as has been determined or suggested, the cartridge cleaning cycle cannot be folded into a scheduled (timed) printer cleaning cycle except at the 240 - 480 hour time frame.

Is it a flaw in Canon's programming? Regardless, it is beneficial for refillers who take advantage of it. Be grateful for small blesings.

Even under 240hrs you win by changing carts before starting to print.

Maybe the numbers are theoretical, but that the cleaning does not start before a printer job is launched is for real, at least on this printer.

All things together it is not so bad :).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Even under 240hrs you win by changing carts before starting to print.
I do not know the printer maintenance schedule. Are you saying you can trick the printer into using just one cleaning cycle for ANY scheduled printer maintenance cleaning cycle IF you pull a cartridge(s) before sending a print job?

How do you keep track of the timing?

Are you sure there is no printer maintenance cleaning cycle during the 240 - 480 hour window despite your method of pulling cartridges to satisfy both required cleaning cycles?

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
It is an external waste ink container sold by Octoinkjet UK. It is easier to empty this container than replacing or cleaning the ink absorbers.

Is it available for MX922. DO I NEED A PRINTER POTTY FOR MX922? Is it use [copies] dependent? If so how do I determine when to buy it and install it?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It only makes sense to install a Printer Potty if you can reset the absorber counter. It looks like no printer potty is offered for your printer or the MX925 which is the European version of the printer. IF you can reset the printer, then maybe you can use a printer potty. If you can reset the printer and want a printer potty instead of cleaning the absorbers then I suggest to contact Octoinkjet support.