Power Off Procedure?

arw4

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX925 plus a few others

Is it available for MX922. DO I NEED A PRINTER POTTY FOR MX922? Is it use [copies] dependent? If so how do I determine when to buy it and install it?
@vienna01, I have the MX925 - the European version of your printer, and will face the same issue at some point in the future. Essentially the printer calculates (estimates) the accumulation of waste ink that is collected by the absorbers within the printer itself. It is not so much dependent on the number of pages printed, but rather the number of cleaning cycles the printer performs. As you approach the "waste tank full" situation, the printer will alert you of the fact. Providing excessive cleaning cycles are not performed, the printer will continue to function normally for a reasonable amount of time yet. Eventually, when the counter has reached that critical point, the printer will no longer operate, and the device will simply display a warning message advising you that the waste ink absorber is now full and that the printer needs to be taken to a Canon Service Centre.

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Will read these comments later, but I got "told off" when I powered off my Pro-100. Yep, it was just another excuse to drain the ink cartridges by way of what I call a toilet-flush and sink plug-pull. This was when I needed to clean under the Print Head and Station thanks to The Hat's advice. Went on for what seemed like 3 minutes. Never again!

On a side note, I have figured if/when I am going to print I will have 4 or 5 Photos ready. Because it seems to run a purge even if I print just one Image. So 4 in a row it waits. Even when I run out of paper, if I don't feed extra sheets in about 15 seconds, guess what? Yup. Purge time!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yep, it was just another excuse to drain the ink cartridges by way of what I call a toilet-flush and sink plug-pull.

I reckon you missing the whole point of what your printer is doing when it runs these cleaning cycles.

Would you prefer your printer to just start up and after receiving the print information from the computer proceed to print your photos on what I reckon would be fairly expensive photo paper ?

Then when the printer is finished, and you view your work only to find that one or more of the nozzles were not functioning to their optimum level for the first few minutes rendering your lovely print next to useless.

The sole purpose behind these necessary cleaning cycles to make sure your photos are printed perfectly every time, yes the printer uses (Not wastes) some ink in the process, buy you then save the cost of wasting a large sheet of photo paper.

The printer counts how many times it cleans and no matter how many steps you take to prevent this, they will still happen, whether their several minutes or only a half a minute long, they will happen, the short ones run more frequently and mostly go unnoticed...

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Yeah that makes complete sense. I agree. However, like we discussed a while back, there's the Printer being "intelligent" and then there's OK, power went out, now I will run a 3 minute cycle just in case, well I don't know, what is the reason in such times as those? Of course, run the purge when NEEDED but if for instance one is to pull the plug, then what genuine reason is there to run such a lengthy cycle upon plugging Printer back in?

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Remember, we as Refillers get the most out of our pride and joy, yet isn't the official word something like "manufactured product to be fully functioning for around 8 cartridge REPLACEMENTS"?

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
OK I have read all now. Forgive my flippancy at jumping in earlier.
From my personal observation as a high quantity printer using the Pro-100S my experiences are as follows (the OP mentions hard power off - pulling of power cable/switching off at mains supply)

1) Hard power down results in the most strenuous of all automatic cycles.
2) Auto turn off, by the power button on printer alone has not much [negative] effect at all. Sure, the printer may perform a short cycle. Its intelligence is at play here. Most acceptable.
3) Here's where I have run into "issues". Both if I send to print and I forget to add paper and/or I only print once… printer performs a cycle. Meaning, if I send to print, expecting a print, then the orange light blinks/message appears on screen, IF I am swift enough to get that sheet in the feeder in time it prints fine. However, if say 15 seconds passes it automatically performs a cycle that lasts at least 30 seconds.

Similarly if I send a single print, a likewise cycle (remember 30 seconds or so) is run immediately afterwards. I noticed this this very morning because I printed one image and then decided to reprint it and the same 30 second cycle is run after each print.

What I do is prepare 4 or 5 prints and send them all together. The printer prints these without any interruptions in between. It will wait until all images are printed. I like this.

Likewise, from my own experience, is when I replace a whole set of cartridges, if I have images sent to print, ready for when I close the lid, it will NOT perform any cycle and simply print these images. Not always mind you as far as I recall. Sometimes it does perform a cycle upon closure of lid.

This is all from experience.

As they say on forums, "your milage may vary"

Have a great weekend, friends :)