Pixma pro 1 rollback the firmware

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You'd be better off submitting the file to totalscan
Not finding that web site, webster. Do you mean VirusTotal?

Virus Total found no hits with the file I uploaded here. Zero.

Did you scan The Hat's file? What AV app do you use?

Norton has a habit of screaming Chicken Little at the slightest thing
A wee bit dramatic but Norton does have a higher false positive rate. Kaspersky is rated best in this respect but I wouldn't use it if you paid me. Utilities such as the Service Tools may use snippets of well known or suspicious heuristic code that causes AV applications to flag the files as bad. Also, his file may have snippets of code that are an issue. I did not test his file further. You can always override Norton and keep and run the file. Also, you can turn off the pop up screen warnings while keeping functions intact so as to be less annoyed if that is your want.

The Hat changed the extension of an EXE file instead of Zipping or Raring the file. I love him but this is bad etiquette and may result in the file being flagged as bad and be blocked.

From my link above:
Expert users who do not care about wrongly blocked files/websites (false alarms) or user-dependent detections, are free to rely on the protection rates instead of our awards ranking which takes those in consideration.
That sums up my approach. I recommend a couple of internet security apps besides Norton. The false positives your refer to are so infrequent in my daily internet travels that it is an inconsequential factor, especially since I can override Norton if desired.

To me, Norton represents a well functioning security package, flaws and all, that at $15 for 5 licenses (currently) is a good deal that has kept me safe, albeit you must still use your own brain to prevent "social engineering" infections no matter which security app you use.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As the saying goes... "Always read the label"... I am suitably chastened... :hide

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Erm... I take it back... Looks like your own AV has cleansed the zip @The Hat ... It's a corrupt zip file :)
You edited your post while I was typing my reply to you and corrected the website name to VirusTotal as I suspected. It's a great site. :thumbsup

I now went back to The Hat's Service Tool upload he renamed from an EXE to a ZIP to get the file past the forum software file upload limitations. The Hat's file now is saved to my hard drive without being flagged or deleted. After being renamed, the file scans clean with my Norton's and Malwarebytes and also on VirusTotal. Makes me wonder if The Hat edited his post and replaced his original file upload. Another explanation is that since the time I originally tested his file and now that Norton no longer considers it suspicious.

Maybe The Hat can shed some light on this...:caf

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As the saying goes...
Well, you are correct about False Positives with Norton as documented in my link to AV-Comparatives. :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What application are you using to scan the EXE or RAR file?
I use the same App. as you Norton, but what I was trying to emphasize was, your system saw my zip file as a threat and mine saw your zip/rar file also as a threat.. Outgoing and Incoming react differently..
Norton has a habit of screaming Chicken Little at the slightest thing... which is good to a point... until it isn't.

You can Feck off @websnail, there’s nothing wrong with @Stratman’s file: TOOL0006V3400.exe, and congratulation to your Virus Total scanning software for also getting it right..
Oh heck... now that I've read the thread properly and looked at everything I'd say the version you had was infected @The Hat ... The file size alone is more than double what it should be even allowing for zip/rar differences in compression.
The file I posted: Service tool v3400.zip, is also perfectly fine, but I'd suggest you read over the posts again, because you have obviously missed something important.

My file is an Exe file and NOT a Zip file, and therefore will always be seen as a threat because its coming from an unknown source, and if your Virus Total has detected a Virus in this file, then your been robbed, maybe it should have screamed a bit more Chicken Little...

Norton has saved and served me well for over 20 years, and I’m perfectly happy with-it screaming Chicken Little at anything untoward. ..
Maybe The Hat can shed some light on this...:caf
Nope same file, here it is again, and I bet it gets zapped again..

Attachments

• Service tool v3400.zip
    434 KB · Views: 310

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nope same file, here it is again, and I bet it gets zapped again..
See my post #13. Maybe you were typing when I posted it and didn't read it when you posted. :idunno

But... I did download and scanned the file in your new post #15 and all was welleither as your wonky ZIP file or the corrected EXE file. See my post #13 for possible explanations.

PS Quit the Bolloxology and compress your file as a Zip or Rar next time. I'll help you. I do it so you know it's easy. ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PS Quit the Bolloxology and compress your file as a Zip or Rar next time. I'll help you. I do it so you know it's easy. ;)
Wow thems big words @stratman, for me its much easier and quicker to rename a file extension than it is to start Feckin around compressing files unnecessarily.. Works for me...:D
You can Feck off @websnail,
Webbie will spring back with one of his usual comments and zap me for being bold..:duc :hide

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Works for me...:D
If Mrs. The Hat has told you once then she's told you a million times... it's not always about you. :lol::hide

Sometimes an old dog can learn new tricks. Other times he might as well pee on an electric fence.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Wow thems big words @stratman, for me its much easier and quicker to rename a file extension than it is to start Feckin around compressing files unnecessarily.. Works for me...:D
... just not everyone else. It's like you expected us to actually read the "what I did" information... Tsk!
Webbie will spring back with one of his usual comments and zap me for being bold..:duc :hide
Nah... I'll wait until my daughter is old enough to visit the emerald isle and gi' you the tongue lashing of yer life... She's already rather good at it ;)