Pixma 780 nozzle check problem

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm not sure if this is correct. I did the extended nozzle check on my MP760 and I get three columns of the small grid patterns instead of just two. On the MP760, the first column is all cyan (top two dark, bottom two light), the second column is magenta (top two dark, bottom two light), and the third column is like yours.

Since I am color blind, I cannot tell if your first column of all small grids is all magenta or a mixture of magenta and cyan.

In fact, there is more text on mine including the model number in cyan plus a very large block of cyan immediately under the grids. Is there any cyan at all on your extended nozzle check? This is strange because your regular nozzle check shows blocks of cyan.

Can anyone else with a working MP780 confirm that it produces just two columns of the small grid patterns?

diggerdave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The first column is cyan, magenta, cyan, magenta.
The second column is yellow, yellow, gray,gray.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That's what my wife said, but I didn't believe her, until now, that is.

That's very interesting that the MP760 and MP780 are so different on the extended nozzle check but I would still like someone else who has another MP780 to confirm whether or not there should be another column of four small grids to the left of your other two columns, because you still are lacking a lot of the other cyan part of the printout.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have been working on a friend's MP780 and it displays the extended nozzle check the same as my MP760 but differently than the one posted above in post #20. But in any case, I am positive that there are missing grid patterns. There should be three columns of the small grid patterns, not two. Also, if your cyan were working correctly, you would see a version number at the top just after the "V".

I would suggest that you do a regular nozzle check, open the cover, put some Windex on the purge pads, close the cover, wait for activity to stop, and then pull the power cord out of the back of the printer. Leave it this way overnight or at least many hours. Plug it back in and do another extended nozzle check to see if you can get that first column of small grids to print. If you cannot after several repeated attempts, you will need to get a new print head to get your printer working correctly again.

diggerdave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I did as you suggested. I do have three columns of colored grids, but the cyan column is missing the top two grids and there is no cyan accross the top where the version number should be. I'm going to try the recommended cleaning process a few more times.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I uploaded an image of the extended nozzle check from my friend's MP780 and added to the thread linked in post #19 and repeated below for convenience. I'm still concerned/confused/amazed that your extended nozzle check shows colors in a different pattern. Could you upload your latest extended nozzle check that shows the three columns of colored grids? I cannot see that on your previous upload.

1315_mp780_extended_nozzle_check.jpg

diggerdave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The first image is the one I ran this morning after soaking the purge pad overnight with Windex. The second image I just ran after applying some Windex to the screen under the cyan cartridge.

5117_extended_nozzle_check.jpg

5117_extended_nozzle_check_02.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It looks like success.

You're going to have to help me with the colors on your last extended nozzle check image: Of the three columns of small grids, is the first one cyan, the second one magenta and the third one yellow and black? Can you see a significant difference in the colors of the second column compared to the image in post #20? If so, how do you account for that?

Also the big block of color under the grids: what color is it? It looks very dark to me compared to my friend's. Is it cyan or does it have magenta mixed in with it?

What kind of cartridges and ink are you using?

diggerdave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The first column is cyan, the second, magenta, the third yellow and black.
The image in post #20-I believe I ran the wrong extended nozzle check pattern. It was probably SHUKKEN PATTERN 1.
The big block of color is cyan. It really looks just like the image you posted.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'll give the SHUKKEN PATTERN 1 a try and see what it looks like.

Otherwise, it looks like everything is OK with your printer now, correct?