Pigment vs Dye: Look en shiver

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Thank you for the reactions, guys. Here is my comment:

I too noticed the good results with pigment ink on matte papers. On my wall there are some prints on matte paper in a glass frame. The glass makes them look glossy anyway.
Maybe the use of pigment printers made luster papers so popular.
But I prefer photos with a glossy surface. Why should we choose lesser paper just because of the ink?

This thread also appears to become a discussion about four colour versus six colour printers. The fun is that a dye printer performs excellent with four colours. And it wouldnt be fair to compare a nine colour pigment printer with a four colour dye printer.

The smaller droplet size of modern printers makes the six colour technology obsolete. With a droplet size of 1 pl (Canon iP100) versus a size of 5 pl (Canon S750) the density stretches to one fifth! Then why do manufacturers still build six colour printers? Maybe they just want to sell more cartridges. And six colour printers do use more ink because of the diluted cyan and magenta. More diluted ink is needed to get the same density on the paper.

And last: the press industry still uses the four colour technology to print perfect glossy magazines.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lucas28 said:
Thank you for the reactions, guys. Here is my comment:

This thread also appears to become a discussion about four colour versus six colour printers. The fun is that a dye printer performs excellent with four colours. And it wouldnt be fair to compare a nine colour pigment printer with a four colour dye printer.

The smaller droplet size of modern printers makes the six colour technology obsolete. With a droplet size of 1 pl (Canon iP100) versus a size of 5 pl (Canon S750) the density stretches to one fifth! Then why do manufacturers still build six colour printers? Maybe they just want to sell more cartridges. And six colour printers do use more ink because of the diluted cyan and magenta. More diluted ink is needed to get the same density on the paper.

And last: the press industry still uses the four colour technology to print perfect glossy magazines.
Again I will have to agree with you that 4 colour inkjet printers do a very good job on photos, but for the real fussy guy that takes photography serious, then 4 colours are just not enough.

While the 6 colour printers do use the extra photo Cyan/ Magenta they dont however use more ink overall, it may look like they do but they simply dont.

It isnt true however that the Press industry only use four colours to produce their glossy magazines, they frequently can and will use six and sometimes up to ten colours but most dont notice any difference, the old film reproduction days are just about gone..

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Lucas28,

Ook een nederlandstalige ;-) ? I have been looking for a method to expel the light colours in my Epson R3000 in favor of using the following ink configuration:

channel 1: gloss optimizer
channel 2: matte black
channel 3: photo black
channel 4: (vivid) magenta
channel 5: cyan
channel 5: yellow
channel 7: grey (light black)
channel 8: orange

Epson DX5 printhead used in the Epson 1400 can produce 5 different droplet sizes from single nozzle: 1.5/3/7/14 and 21 picoliter, whereas Canon printheads need a single nozzle row for each color: 1, 3 and 5 pl. Canon printer do not need light colors to produce outstanding pictures with only 3 different droplet sizes. Now with Epson it would be even better !!!

The above configuration does mean with a 6 ink channel printer like the Epson 1400, one can get:

channel 1: matte black
channel 2: photo black
channel 3: grey (light black)
channel 4: cyan
channel 5: (vivid) magenta
channel 6: yellow

Now that would be a true ABW printer with both blacks loaded simultaneously without the need of swapping out blacks when changing from matte to photo papers and vice-versa. Technically there is NO need for the light/photo colors !!!

Problem: you will need a RIP driver to achieve this and maybe someone can help me with this ?

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
Hi Apotheker
I was researching alot into direct to garment printing and sublimation printing
GutenPrint or Gimp Print
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Features.php

is heavily used by russians with custom profiles to print with typical R1900 or 3880 (DX5 Eight channel) with a custom color combination.
For Textile Printing most of them use C Y M K and four channels of White
But Also for Sublimation they change the settings of a 3800/3880 to CYMKCYMK since it doubles the printing speed.
I dont have ANY experience with a true DTG Software myself, but I guess this has been done several times before

I have several "old" but good R1800 on stock and would REALY Like to print with K3 Vivid inkset with them
or as your suggestion transforming an 1400 into a Pigment beast sounds great