Paper / Printer profiling with ArgyllCms and EFI ES 1000 for a newbie

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
do you think i can scan with the device parallel to the row that i'm scanning or not ?
This may be an ArgyllCMS specific function issue. ISF already answered as best he can.

I have politely recommended you cut to the chase and go to the forums that have been established for ArgyllCMS / profiling help. No response from you. No one with ArgyllCMS experience, if any around, is posting. You continue to plow a fallow field.

This is a printer forum first and foremost. Profiling information is typically related to use use with printing applications. ISF and some others enjoy the profiling process but he has told you he does not work with ArgyllCMS.

It is not that we do not want to help you but that your issues are apparently not within the wheel house of respondents.

When asked why he robbed banks, the infamous bank robber Willie Sutton replied "because that's where the money is."

This not the ArgyllCMS bank. Go to where the money is for your questions.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
i will check it with the diagnostics when i will get at home later, if i use the X-rite diagnostic do i have to install some drivers or will it be found automatically ?
I don't know how the Mac version works, the Windows version would tell you if and what may be missing, just start the software, it should guide through through all steps.

I'm wondering why you don't get the scanning board with the ES-1000, it is apparently part of the kit

https://www.ebay.de/itm/X-Rite-Gret...ne-Pro-Spectrophotometer-ES1000-/392322233578

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
jose rodriguez a "guru" of printers (it has dozens of them, from entry level up to top level) affirms that usually from his tests a lot of "canned" paper profiles of printer manufacters have a lower gamut of that the printer can reach, this to avoid problems with printer calibration (not done on all the printers) ink sets, paper accuracy or more in general for mass production of printers.
This wasn’t exactly my experience using a Color Munki to make custom profiles for a couple of Canon papers and OEM inks on a Pro10s.
I’m sure that Canon uses a higher end device in their labs. but, comparing with PerfX gamutviewer, my Platinum Pro custom profile with Canon’s original the differences were very small. Just a tad more purple gamut in the Canon. The other areas of the spectrum were so close that the discrepancies might be attributed to device tolerance.

IMHO, the theory that a custom profile has always a wider gamut than the default profile supplied by the manufacturer is pure speculation. It seems to be more of a case per case scenario. As a general rule, both profiles must be very close. If the difference is huge then the odds are that the user did something wrong or the measuring instrument isn’t well calibrated.
Of course, it’s understood that we’re using OEM inks for our custom profiles. If not, any comparison is pointless.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
IMHO, the theory that a custom profile has always a wider gamut than the default profile supplied by the manufacturer is pure speculation. It seems to be more of a case per case scenario
Yes, general statements are meaningless

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
This wasn’t exactly my experience using a Color Munki to make custom profiles for a couple of Canon papers and OEM inks on a Pro10s.
I’m sure that Canon uses a higher end device in their labs. but, comparing with PerfX gamutviewer, my Platinum Pro custom profile with Canon’s original the differences were very small. Just a tad more purple gamut in the Canon. The other areas of the spectrum were so close that the discrepancies might be attributed to device tolerance.

IMHO, the theory that a custom profile has always a wider gamut than the default profile supplied by the manufacturer is pure speculation. It seems to be more of a case per case scenario. As a general rule, both profiles must be very close. If the difference is huge then the odds are that the user did something wrong or the measuring instrument isn’t well calibrated.
Of course, it’s understood that we’re using OEM inks for our custom profiles. If not, any comparison is pointless.
Agree.

I bought a used Colormunki long ago only because it allows me to print with any ink (3th party or OEM from another ink set) on any paper. It paid itself back a few times since, but I don't think it is necessary for the average amateur who sticks to OEM ink or from a 3th party shop who provides profiles (I only know two).

There are not so many photo paper manufacturers, when you print on a good quality resin coated glossy or satin paper of a different brand or no name (ex: Aldi, Sihl in Europe) with a profile for the corresponding papers for your printer, you won't see the difference.

The Colormunki has the advantage to be supported by the latest software for free, and it is easy to use. With all respect for ArgyllCMS, but I wouldn't have the courage.

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
i installed the xrite diagnostic v4.1.2, it sees my device (it says i1pro), iit makes the tests but then tells faiiled, also if pass all the tests (they were all succeded), i upgraded the version to v4.2.1 and later but my i1pro rev. D is not supported.

How can i verify the device is working ?

Would i see some light on when i press the button ?

When i press the button the software knows i pressed the button.

thanks in advance
mavtop

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
ok i solved i was keeping the device on the white plate when measuring, now it passed all the tests

now i will have to test the charts sheet with argyllcms to sse if i can read the pattern

Last edited:

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
finally i succeded to scan a patterns chart, but it was with only 324 patches but enlarged at 1.3 ratio

I had to understand how slow i would be to make the scan in the right way else "strip read failed".

Without a perfect ruler i will not be able to scan reduced patches easily.

I will do more testing with different enlarged ratio

EDIT: I succeded to scan a pattern chart of 576 patches with a ratio of 1, now i'm understanding better how to align a white paper that i use like a ruler, i kept 50 minutes to scan it

EDIT2: i succeded to scan a pattern chart of 720 patches with a ratio of 0,9, now i can scan better than before :) and in just 29 minutes, but i suspect i can't go beyond this without a proper ruler

Last edited:

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
Does someone know the unit of the Total lamp usage indicate from argyllcms software ?

I hope it is showed in seconds, my total lamp usage is 10753,821289

If it is in seconds i have a new device 10753/60=179 minutes / 60 about 3h of use

I tried to search for it but no information found, the luminous landscape forum is not free, you have to pay to register, so i can't ask there.

EDIT: i found some source code that indicates that is showed in seconds.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You should be able to save the test report of the i1Pro test into a text file, lamp usage and more parameters are listed there as usage indicators, I think I remember pretty much higher numbers with my old i1Pro devices. And the report should show you as well if the internal memory still has some authorization stored for some software. The i1Pro and the newer models work not just as a spectro but as well as a software dongle for software - EFI or XRite/i1Profiler - using this spectro.