Ok or obsolete article about refilling CLI-8 carts?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I came across an article when googling for "cli-8 refilling". It was at the top of the search list, but this refilling newbie wonders if it has some problems.

from page 3 of above article:
3. Using our Yellow Drill Tool, make a hole in the top of the cartridge into the
sponge area.
4. Use some black electrical tape and tape over the exit port on the bottom of the
cartridge. This is so ink will not leak out when you fill the sponge section or the
reservoir section.
5. Using the syringe, inject ink into the sponge area until full. Move the needle
around into different spots in the sponge to get it totally saturated. Leave the hole
into the sponge compartment open, do not cover or block.
Next, inject ink into the reservoir area until almost full. Leave just a little air
space, so it does not overflow. This is just to keep everything from getting messy.
If I read the above correctly, it advises putting ink into both the sponge and reservoir areas. Is this considered a valid alternative to the "traditional topfill method" of putting ink into the reservoir through opening produced by punching out/drilling where the plastic ball resides?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
And another concern from the same article

It seems like the described method on page 1 assumes non-usage of a chip-resetter for CLI-8 carts:

The method for refilling cartridges that is outlined in this instruction set has been tested
and found to work without issue on OEM Canon CLI-8 and PGI-5 printer cartridges.
While we have had no problems refilling these cartridges please note that the ink level
monitor in the printer will need to be disabled in order to continue to print with refilled
cartridges. Each color cartridges ink counter will need to be disabled as it is reported
empty, and the message will not reappear for every refill there after.

It is the user's responsibility to monitor the actual ink levels and refill the cartridge when
necessary. This can be done by stopping the printer when it actually runs out of ink (no
ink is printed on the paper), refilling before every large print job to ensure no interruption
during the job, or visually inspecting the cartridge to determine the ink level. Running
this type of cartridge without ink may damage the print head in the printer.
To this refilling newbie, this seems like a recipe for print-head abuse. I can't image it being "preferred practice":
"ink level monitor in the printer will need to be disabled".

Perhaps for the best, the procedure to disable ink level monitoring isn't described. Whew.

Is this obsolete from when resetters weren't available? If so, perhaps the vendor could be requested to update the webpage?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also think these instructions look very outdated. Whether you use top fill or the "German" method you should never oversaturate the sponge. So injecting ink into the sponge is directly wrong, and could lead to a lot of problems with ink flow and dripping. Luckily much better instructions can be found on this forum. :)

Peter.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That is correct Peter, and if you drill holes above the sponge area, you will disable the function of the serpentine air path for the air vent. Don't compromise your cartridges by drilling into the top of the sponge area. In fact, I would disregard anything else those instructions say because they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
To this refilling newbie, this seems like a recipe for print-head abuse. I can't image it being "preferred practice":
"ink level monitor in the printer will need to be disabled".

Perhaps for the best, the procedure to disable ink level monitoring isn't described. Whew.

Is this obsolete from when resetters weren't available? If so, perhaps the vendor could be requested to update the webpage?
You are correct , the "disable ink level monitoring "procedure the re-fill company refer to , pre-dates the invention of the chip resetter. This dis-able procedure is described within Canon`s own literature and software , (its to get the last drop of ink out of the cart ) , but............Canon state that this disable procedure is not recommended as a long term practice , genuine Canon carts being fitted as soon as possible will re-instate ink level monitoring. (carts that have been emptied and refilled (and the chip not re-set ) will not.) You cannot print with carts that have been flagged as empty , (and the chip not re-set) , unless you do disable the ink level monitoring for that cart.

It would be well for users to aquaint themselves of how this procedure is carried out , in the event that they don`t have a re-setter and are desperate to carry on printing, its not complicated, nor final, but it may invalidate any warranty remaining as it registers its commencement on the printer memory log.

Yes there is a possibility of print head abuse, what it needs is a physical examination on the level of ink within the carts on a regular basis to prevent a "fry-up". Many of us " pre Re-setter"people still monitor the carts out of force of habit, if we had to we could still go back to the disable procedure with no fears , (provided Canon were still doing it !).

As far as I know , all my (chipped) printers , still have the disable ink monitor procedure within the Canon software.