OK here it is! It works!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Spray it with a UV spray! And see what happens! That's what I do.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printing on uncoated paper really is a matter of trial and error - with ink and with paper.
And I agree that you can print out quite good with both pigment or dye!
It's the interaction of the ink and the fiber (and possibly the printer/printhead i.e. how the nozzles are firing) what makes the result pleasing or not.

There was a thread one year ago with lots of interesting findings
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/printing-on-watercolour-paper.10344/

When you print with pigment ink on uncaoted art paper, matte black is mandatory.
But you can try it with a dye ink set too! I did some prints with fuji DL ink on this kind of paper and results were similar to pigment regarding d-max. But there was another issue: strange artifacts on some paper with some printers...

So the results depend on the properties of the fiber: some aquarelle paper is described as "short fiber", what probably is to limit the "spreading" of the water color while painting. Besides it is sometimes described as "sized" - which means a kind of glue is applied on one or both siides of the sheet. And it depends on how the ink interacts with a certain fiber.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
I've been wanting to purchase art paper but have no clue what I'm getting into. I didn't know that the printer changes the dpi for art paper; good to know.
You know, I'm learning a lot about how different papers represent colors differently and their limitations. For example, I didn't know that glossy paper is more vibrant than matte. Yes, I'm that clueless...LOL! :p
But, I didn't know my printer, the Pro-100, can perform magic. And how would I get the same outcome by sending it off to a print lab? And all the complexities of what you really want, how would you express that to a lab and would they truly understand it?
So, yes, I love printing my own art.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I've been wanting to purchase art paper but have no clue what I'm getting into. I didn't know that the printer changes the dpi for art paper; good to know.
You know, I'm learning a lot about how different papers represent colors differently and their limitations. For example, I didn't know that glossy paper is more vibrant than matte. Yes, I'm that clueless...LOL! :p
But, I didn't know my printer, the Pro-100, can perform magic. And how would I get the same outcome by sending it off to a print lab? And all the complexities of what you really want, how would you express that to a lab and would they truly understand it?
So, yes, I love printing my own art.

The sweet spot for the pro 100 is satin, lustre or gloss RC papers and there are lots out there for you to try. Honestly on these papers it is every bit as good as my Epson 3880. A printer that cost four times the pro 100 price.

Baryta papers for the most part work well on the pro 100.

If it has any week spots it is matte papers and B&W, although the results are still excellent by all but the most demanding comparisons.

Again just my results. Others are free to disagree.

rs

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
Question:
I am using Qimage and have selected the ICC profile for Canson watercolor paper. Driver does not manage color.
Does the media type setting make any difference? Seems redundant.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Question:
I am using Qimage and have selected the ICC profile for Canson watercolor paper. Driver does not manage color.
Does the media type setting make any difference? Seems redundant.

My understanding is it does. Media setting primarily affects the amount of ink that is ejected from the nozzles during printing. There may be other subtle variations not immediately obvious but beneficial when using the stated grade of Canon paper.

@mikling may be able to give a more accurate answer to this question.

rs

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Printing on various substrates can a lot of fun, and trial and error with driver settings.

I once printed on real parchment with dye inks. The results were spectacular pooling of the ink, producing stunning effects. Upon drying, (which took many hours),the parchment sheet rolled up into a tight curl upon itself, impossible to flatten!