Nozzle issue with Epson Workforce 3640

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Only after a good set of at least 6 head cleans and if it does not fix the issue then you proceed to bring out the tools. You also need to look at each nozzle check carefully to see and analyze what the problem is. Consistent missing bars each and every time with no improvement "can generally" mean clogged nozzles and then you proceed with riskier operations.

Apetitphoto can also tell you that despite consistent missing bars, sometimes that is also STUBBORN trapped air as well.

Essentially 100% perfect diagnosis is not possible at times and you need to have some hunches.

The key thing is that if a printer suddenly develops clogs during use, it is not a "clog" but can be. Clogs can occur during periods of no use due to ink drying.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing as well. when we use aftermarket ink it is inexpensive enough that we print more frequently and when something goes amiss, we can use head cleans and do things that is not too costly.

When one uses OEM, despite the high quality sometimes things go wrong. However because of the cost of the ink, we end up 1. Not printing frequently enough because of the expense. 2. When something goes amiss, we try and do everything other thing possible to not use up that expensive ink. 3. We try all kinds of things except using up more ink that might have solved the problem.

This is not to chastise you but points out something that happens to many people all too often. The cost of the ink leads to the early demise of the printer in many situations. However when you think about it......what happens next.......you buy a new printer again.
Who's happy about that. You got that right.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here's a "normal" day with the 3640 when something goes wrong. I sometimes log all my error days. Take a look at how it gets from poor to terrible to bad to perfect. Notice how a perfect pattern to the left goes to bad as well after a head clean. OMG time.
A perfect example of DO NOT PANIC but just full speed ahead use the ink and we're good again. If a typical user got these results...panic sets out as the first head clean gets worse and the second head clean gets "badder". Then the comments come flying that I'll never buy another Epson again etc. etc... g. Then I buy printhead cleaning fluid. Flush, polish. Soak.

Again, use the ink back to normal. whereas just one more head clean restores everything Hunky dory.

If you purchase an Epson you must grow a set and be prepared for these days. You have to use ink.

2017-10-03 11-09-26_0038.jpg

Last edited:

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880, WF3460, WF610
How many cleans did it take to go from the first to the final "back to normal" in the example shown above?
Are you using PrecisionColors ink for refilling?

One of the advantages of using Costco is their return policy!
I just brought back my 1 year old WF3640 for a full refund -take that Epson. Unfortunately, they no longer carry the WF3640 (replaced with a WF4734) which of course do not take my spare 252XL carts which I still have! Luckily, I found a new one at BJ's - but their return policy is 90 days.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The above episode documented exactly the cycle of events with one head clean between each. The point was that each head clean could make the situation look worse and sometimes worse as the colors could also get affected as well. I would comment that this particular event was tame in that the colors were not affected during this.
The key point is this, it can get to look totally ruined and when it is one head clean away from perfection. If you didn't have the guts to make one more head clean then the fate of the printer could be completely different. THIS is the nature of the beast.
In your situation, you can thank Costco for receiving the printer back...whether it was one or two head cleans away from being restored, we will not know. However the episode you went through indicates that 1. Epson printers are possibly not suited to your useage pattern. 2. Canon printers also have their quirks as well.

If you do not use your printer on a regular at least a weekly basis, then maybe you should look into a laser printer. If your need for color is non existent then a low cost monochrome laser.

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Are you using PrecisionColors ink for refilling?

I have been using Epson Printers for some 15 years, and this 3640 was printed on weekly or more often - typically daily as it is my general purpose printer.

Now my R2880 is printing photos maybe monthly or less, but, I have been doing QImage unclogs pattern printing every 3-4 days and it too has never had anything like this 3640 issue.

Last edited:

Michael-K

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson r2400
A couple of comments. I've had several Epson printers and have experienced the dreaded clogs. One tip either Epson offered or was suggested on the web is after 3 cleaning in a row, one should let the printer rest (overnight) to let the head cool and to let the ink settle down. I've occasionally found that this works. BTW, I have a WF-3640, use it every day, have not had any clogs and love it. However, my first 3640 went down after a couple of months; Epson replaced it with a new one. In setting the new one up, the pull out paper print out platform (?) would not extend all the way. Epson replaced that one too. My third is working without flaw now for over a year.

I also have an Epson r2880 which I'm currently printing with only every few months (hope to change this soon). I keep it turned on and use the software Harvey's Head Cleaner on my computer, also left turned on, and it runs a nozzle check on my schedule; mine is set to run daily. This is the best little paid for utility I've ever had; Google it. My technique is to cut copy paper in half and leave a stack of 8 in the loading tray. After the tray runs out, I turn the paper over top to bottom giving 16 printing routines on 1/2 a sheet on one side. I then turn the stack over and print another 16 nozzle checks on the reverse side. Nozzle checks take an immeasurable amount of ink. It works great and I don't get any broken/missing patterns or clogs.

Shankar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WorkForce 845
I own an Epson Workforce 845 with CISS carts. Both are about 5 years old. I have had my shares of not-firing, mis-firing nozzles and fuzzy letters. @jpegman, you have done all things correctly like, head cleaning and cleaning of head with Windex.
Though I did not have as bad a case of letter smudging as you have (I had only fuzzy letters), they were made sharp by one thing I have not seen you mention - cleaning of parking pads and rubber wiper blade. After doing this step, all my nozzles were firing and the letters were crisp.
I don't know anything about your printer, but try cleaning of parking pads and wiper blade with Windex. Chances are, your black smudging may be coming from dirty parking pads and/or wiper blade.
And one more thing - with a dry soft cotton cloth wipe the transparent plastic timing strip clean.
If you decide to try, please share your results.

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried he multiple cleanings with overnight resting and no luck. I let the printhead sit on both Windex and (IJM) PiezoFlush saturated folded paper towels overnight and that didn't help. I cleaned the parking pads and wiper blade at the same time (as shown by Dana (IJM)) and it had no changes on the letter smudging for me. In fact there seemed to be very little build up on the wiper. I then tried to use the IJM squirter tool that fits over the ink nipple and lets one pressure inject either Windex or PiezoFlush through each print nipple (with the printhead over paper towels to catch the runoff) and that didn't work - in factm I lost all the channels after a nozzle check and head clean, Repeating, I finally got the black channel back (with the same misses as I started) but the cyan, magenta, and yellow channels stayed totally gone. Repeated the head soaks and cleaner injections and finally called it a day and returned the printer to Costco. I did not try to clean the timing strip, and now I can't because the printer has gone back to Costco.
I've had the printer for about 9 months and printed almost daily on it! During the summer we were away on vacation in Maine during the weekdays, but, returned home on most weekends and again printed whenever I was home. I don't think the printer was ever really idle for more than maybe 7-8 days. My R2880 has sat for months unused and after an auto clean is always ready to rock and roll. Not so with this WF printer. Mikling said in an earlier reply the precision core heads from Epson seem to be more prone to issues than other Epson heads.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
and now I can't because the printer has gone back to Costco.
@jpegman Now that you have returned the troublesome Epson printer, why don’t you try a Canon instead, there are some great discounts to be had on the Pro 100 and Pro 10 right now...