Nozzle issue with Epson Workforce 3640

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880, WF3460, WF610
My WF3640 is about 8 months old, used every few days, and worked flawlessly using Epson OEM inks only. Yesterday, I decided to do a routine nozzle check and found 3 small segments missing. I have tried multiple black only cleanings, with resting for several hours between cleanings and also QImage Unclogg printouts, and CANNOT get the 3 pieces to clear.

Coincidentally, my Black ink cartridge ran out and it was replaced with a new OEM 252XL cart with the problem remaining!

Anyone have any suggestions?
WF3460 Nozzle check.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There is actually a lot more than 3 bars that are of issue.
But sticking to the main issue, even after all the head cleanings are they the same exact bars?
You could try more cleanings or just keep using it and see if it clears. Unfortunately it is not always clear what the problem is unless we know of when the missing bars started thus allowing us to know if it is possibly air or a real clog.
It would appear that you might have these missing bars there for quite some time and did not notice it. Is there more information that can be provided? Doing head cleans with an OEM cart can be frighteningly expensive. If you had been refilling I would say at least 6 head cleans and then assess. The cost to do so would have been a fraction.
If you don't want to perform head cleans try soaking in windex with the folded paper towel and see what comes of it. Even with this process more head cleans will be called for.

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Since the carts ride on the print head (no tubing), I assumed that air was not an issue! I will try the paper towel-windex soak tonight.
I found an old (2-3 months ago?) nozzle check and it's different, especially the channel labels which are seem to be getting progressively more "smudged" the more I try to clean the heads. This is what Iassume you meant by "a lot more than 3 bars" !
WF3460 Nozzle check (2-3 months ago).jpg

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Since the carts were OEM, i assumed that air is not an issue.
I parked the heads over Windex soaked paper towels for 2 days (With changes and wiping back and forth like inkjetmall suggested) and the missing bands (and smeared lettering was still there). Next tried using IJM Piezo solution and am letting it sit now - we'll see!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you had looked close enough initially the top parts of the black pattern were also missing. In one example a whole line. If you want to remain an owner with a working Epson machine, you need to look more carefully in the future or an Epson is not suited for you.

The now missing yellow is again normal because infiltrated air floats to the highest point. The cleanings you have done for black has drawn the pocket in the yellow channel down to the nozzles now. Don't be surprised that the Cyan and Magenta starts showing missing gaps next.

Air infiltrated Epson nozzles purely because of statistics and physics of what is occurring during printing. Epson has a routine that attempts to cure this without you knowing by ejecting or performing a mini head cleaning after a preset time or number of uses. This is not seen by the user. However when performing this to eradicate the printer from this air infliltration the engineer must balance probability of the air buildup and ink wasteage versus not wasting too much ink.
This is an advanced topic that will not be understood by many reading this. The pattern of buildup will vary based on environmental conditions as well as pattern of use.

Just be aware that when this buildup occurs and you get missing bars it is important to recognize it and perform the head cleans immediately to restore it. Leaving it with a gap can sometime make it permanent. Flush solution will not always clear a clog again because of physics of what is happening.

I have observed that the buildup occurs more frequently on Precision Core workforce models than the photo printer line. This could be the result of design or possibly the amount of maintenance that Epson prescribes in the firmware. This is a fact of life living with Epsons. I don't want to hear counter arguments on this with the 3880,3800 and P800. Those machines are constructed and operate slightly differently. Yes, they are Epsons.

I would have continued with the head cleans till I got it. Doing too much can sometimes dig yourself a hole.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
@mikling isnt there a "recommend limit" to the number of back to back head cleanings?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The geenral consensus was three. Twice I have had to use about 5-6 times over a period of three years. The issue is that the Workforce printer is need to use NOW situation.

The concern was waste ink tank issues and not ink consumption. However as you might already know the 3640 has a user replaceable waste ink tank so pretty much drives me to a "get er done." It's just ink. The tank is not expensive.

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
So Mikling, Now that I know what I shouldn't have done, do I have a doorstop (with lots of ink) or what are your suggestions to correct my 3640 situation?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
No carry on. But sometimes all the measures of "doing" stuff is not always the best way. There's always risk in dong stuff that you read about.

jpegman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
So if it was yours, you would just give up!