Nozzle check pattern with broken lines even after nozzle cleaning

Lee Beck

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 640 and WF-2750
Epson XP-610. Printer test pattern shows banding so I perform a nozzle check, which indicates that nozzle cleaning is needed. Had the printer go through the nozzle cleaning routine and the nozzle check pattern still says cleaning is needed.

Is there some way to physically clean the nozzles with Q-tips or something? Should I try multiple nozzle cleanings until I get a good nozzle check? Is it possible to use a syringe to put a solvent in a spent cartridge to do a nozzle cleaning?

How should I proceed?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Please post a scan of the Nozzle check for our view.

There are cleaning procedures for Epson printheads. Typically they use folded paper towels under the print head (when in mid-position, not "parked") moistened with Original Formula Windex. But first, let's see what you are talking about...

Lee Beck

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 640 and WF-2750
This is what I'm talking about

img004.jpg
img005.jpg

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I don't know this particular model, but in general there are these methods
- cleaning cycles .. which sometimes help sometimes not, and because it flushes the channels with ink it may be expensive, unless you are using 3rd party ink. I would not execute more than 4-5, especially when it becomes worse instead of better
- cleaning cycles with cleaning carts. But therfore you need working refillable cartridges, which you can fill with windex or "pharmacist's solution". I would not spend a lot of money for some "magic" fluids, patience is more important, e.g. letting the printer sit overnight after the cleaning cycles with cleaning carts
- Soaking the nozzle plate on a paper towel which is wet from windex, like turbguy said. You have to pull the plug for being able to move the carriage manually. Soaking overnight. There are many instructions in the web..
- Direct injection of windex & co into the "spikes" of the printhead, where the ink of the cartridge flows in. You have to put a tight fitting piece of tube onto the spike, then a syringe into the other end, and inject the solution from the syringe into the ink channel. With paper towels under the head, it will flow into these. And you can not only push cleaner into, but also pull the clogged ink out (i.e. back into the syringe)

..only two out of many threads
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/easy-unclogging-of-epson-printhead.5057/
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3589021

PS: if there are no spikes but small screens, then the ink flow is like canon, with sponge cartridges. So no direct injection is possible.
PPS: Your missing nozzles could be a clogging as well as air bubbles in the ink flow... you should inspect your cartridges too, especially cheap replacement carts.

Last edited:

Lee Beck

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 640 and WF-2750
Thanks. Lots of information here. I'll try some physical cleaning with the Windex and report my findings.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Does the nozzle check pattern change from nozzle print to nozzle print (with several hours between nozzle prints and no cleaning steps between)? Do ANY lines re-appear/disappear??

That would be evidence of air-binding, not clogging.

Lee Beck

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 640 and WF-2750
Does the nozzle check pattern change from nozzle print to nozzle print (with several hours between nozzle prints and no cleaning steps between)? Do ANY lines re-appear/disappear??
Yes and no. I did a print head cleaning with Windex and paper towel following instructions presented in one of the videos. Left the wet paper towel in the printer overnight. See the nozzle check patterns taken this morning:

• The first two were taken after successive nozzle cleaning routines and are almost exact.
  • Prior to reading your post, I did a third nozzle cleaning, which ate up my cyan.
  • Replaced the cyan and did another nozzle check, then printed a test page.

Note that the first BK remains identical. But the test page looks pretty good. I think I'll continue to print until I see major flaws. When I do, I'll look into the air-binding.

Got any good instructions on rectifying air-binding?
DSC_5643.JPG

View attachment 4839
PTP.jpg

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Thanks for the update!

Try another nozzle check with the printer sitting idle overnight. This long duration gives a chance for the ink to dissolve trapped air bubbles. Air is soluable in ink.