Now you've calibrated everything: what lights do you use?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Stirred by RogerB's enthusiasm for Solex MR16 GU5.3 Halogen, I had a look in a local trade supplier of lighting fittings yesterday and was surprised to find they had stopped supplying GU5.3 halogen compatible downlighters etc etc and were only carrying LED strip lights (looking like small 20mm dia. fluorescent tubes). So it seems as though LED is the future.

There was no visible data available on their spectrum coverage. So I am wondering if it is possible to use a ColorMunki Photo or other Spectro to plot lamp spectrum coverage. You can profile a slide projector with a CM, so may be there is a way extracting 'numbers' as well.

Dimitris Servis

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mp640, R3000, R200
Stirred by RogerB's enthusiasm for Solex MR16 GU5.3 Halogen, I had a look in a local trade supplier of lighting fittings yesterday and was surprised to find they had stopped supplying GU5.3 halogen compatible downlighters etc etc and were only carrying LED strip lights (looking like small 20mm dia. fluorescent tubes). So it seems as though LED is the future.

There was no visible data available on their spectrum coverage. So I am wondering if it is possible to use a ColorMunki Photo or other Spectro to plot lamp spectrum coverage. You can profile a slide projector with a CM, so may be there is a way extracting 'numbers' as well.

Actually I am having the same problem: I am looking for a lighting fixture for the SoLux bulbs since I cannot put them in the ceiling. In Switzerland it is very difficult to find, in the UK I found these

https://www.stagelamps.co.uk/store/fixtures/par-16/par-16-can-polished-with-gel-frame-gu5.3-base

Maybe they make sense to you?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Dimitris Servis, I think those might do what we want, two delivered in UK with VAT for £23.40. They can be used with gelatine colour filters for display or stage illumination. Transformer required - so we would need a 12v supply.

My daughter and family live near Horgen so I am familiar with these problems!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Having experimented with test print viewing in the bathroom, which has white emulsion walls, a window and 6 halogen downlighters, I have decided that it makes an excellent viewing room and will save me the trouble of setting up other lights. Why didn't I think of it earlier, you don't want to examine prints critically, until they are at least 24 hours old anyway.:ep

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Having experimented with test print viewing in the bathroom, which has white emulsion walls, a window and 6 halogen downlighters, I have decided that it makes an excellent viewing room and will save me the trouble of setting up other lights. Why didn't I think of it earlier, you don't want to examine prints critically, until they are at least 24 hours old anyway.
Sounds good to me! I think you will be much happier with this arrangement than with any commonly available LEDs. Bit of a new twist on converting the bathroom to a darkroom isn't it?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Having experimented with test print viewing in the bathroom, which has white emulsion walls, a window and 6 halogen downlighters, I have decided that it makes an excellent viewing room and will save me the trouble of setting up other lights. Why didn't I think of it earlier, you don't want to examine prints critically, until they are at least 24 hours old anyway.:ep

First there is hoarding of printers.

Next we replace magazines in the poop room with pictures we have printed for viewing. Good thing there is seat we can use and maybe kill two birds in one shot maybe?

Next sign of a printaholic?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
First there is hoarding of printers.

Next we replace magazines in the poop room with pictures we have printed for viewing. Good thing there is seat we can use and maybe kill two birds in one shot maybe?

Next sign of a printaholic?

Much as we appreciate mikling's comment, as an after thought I felt I should point out that there are national word usage differences.

In the USA and Canada the word bathroom is used (litotes) to describe the UK's usage of WC or toilet (or several other words that I won't mention) - hence mikling's slightly different view of my original posting.

The bathroom or bathrooms, in the UK are almost invariably on the upper floor of a house and may contain a bath, a shower, a bidet, a WC and make up area with mirrors for the female side of the family and is usually well lit (with as I have six halogen downlighters).

This makes mikling's post slightly more humorous over here, when you imagine sitting down in a more restricted space, to examine a series of colour prints.