1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: 3D Metal Printing
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Now you've calibrated everything: what lights do you use?

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by Dimitris Servis, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jan 15, 2015
    Emulator

Emulator Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    Stirred by RogerB's enthusiasm for Solex MR16 GU5.3 Halogen, I had a look in a local trade supplier of lighting fittings yesterday and was surprised to find they had stopped supplying GU5.3 halogen compatible downlighters etc etc and were only carrying LED strip lights (looking like small 20mm dia. fluorescent tubes). So it seems as though LED is the future.

There was no visible data available on their spectrum coverage. So I am wondering if it is possible to use a ColorMunki Photo or other Spectro to plot lamp spectrum coverage. You can profile a slide projector with a CM, so may be there is a way extracting 'numbers' as well.

The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  2. Jan 15, 2015
    Dimitris Servis

Dimitris Servis Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Mp640, R3000, R200
    Actually I am having the same problem: I am looking for a lighting fixture for the SoLux bulbs since I cannot put them in the ceiling. In Switzerland it is very difficult to find, in the UK I found these

https://www.stagelamps.co.uk/store/fixtures/par-16/par-16-can-polished-with-gel-frame-gu5.3-base

Maybe they make sense to you?

The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  3. Jan 15, 2015
    Emulator

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    Hi Dimitris Servis, I think those might do what we want, two delivered in UK with VAT for £23.40. They can be used with gelatine colour filters for display or stage illumination. Transformer required - so we would need a 12v supply.

My daughter and family live near Horgen so I am familiar with these problems!

The Hat likes this.
  4. Jan 19, 2015
    Emulator

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    Having experimented with test print viewing in the bathroom, which has white emulsion walls, a window and 6 halogen downlighters, I have decided that it makes an excellent viewing room and will save me the trouble of setting up other lights. Why didn't I think of it earlier, you don't want to examine prints critically, until they are at least 24 hours old anyway.:ep

The Hat, RogerB and PeterBJ like this.
  5. Jan 19, 2015
    RogerB

RogerB Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro3880
    Sounds good to me! I think you will be much happier with this arrangement than with any commonly available LEDs. Bit of a new twist on converting the bathroom to a darkroom isn't it?

The Hat, Emulator and PeterBJ like this.
  6. Jan 19, 2015
    mikling

mikling Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

First there is hoarding of printers.

Next we replace magazines in the poop room with pictures we have printed for viewing. Good thing there is seat we can use and maybe kill two birds in one shot maybe?

Next sign of a printaholic?

Tudor, PeterBJ, palombian and 3 others like this.
  7. Jan 21, 2015
    Emulator

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro9000 II
    Much as we appreciate mikling's comment, as an after thought I felt I should point out that there are national word usage differences.

In the USA and Canada the word bathroom is used (litotes) to describe the UK's usage of WC or toilet (or several other words that I won't mention) - hence mikling's slightly different view of my original posting.

The bathroom or bathrooms, in the UK are almost invariably on the upper floor of a house and may contain a bath, a shower, a bidet, a WC and make up area with mirrors for the female side of the family and is usually well lit (with as I have six halogen downlighters).

This makes mikling's post slightly more humorous over here, when you imagine sitting down in a more restricted space, to examine a series of colour prints.

Dimitris Servis, stratman and PeterBJ like this.