No PGBK nozzle pattern printed on Canon Pixma MP830

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
kevindd992002 said:
How does one know if the logic board of the printer is the problem?
You may not initially know unless there is an error code given by the printer. Even then, error codes can have multiple meanings. The worst case scenario for you is that you buy a new print head and it too displays the same behavior, possibly damaging the new print head in the process.

Unless there is an error code on the LCD screen or repeating series of flashing lights signifying an error, then the most likely cause is due to print head failure for which a new print head *should* fix. These are the odds based on the information you have presented. The only way to know is either trying a new print head or have a Canon Service Tech (or person with similar abilities) examine your printer.

No guarantees, though the Forum's collective experience, gained by many others before you, places the odds of a new print head resolving your PGI-5 Pigment Ink problem as good.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
kevindd992002 said:
How does one know if the logic board of the printer is the problem?
You may not initially know unless there is an error code given by the printer. Even then, error codes can have multiple meanings. The worst case scenario for you is that you buy a new print head and it too displays the same behavior, possibly damaging the new print head in the process.

Unless there is an error code on the LCD screen or repeating series of flashing lights signifying an error, then the most likely cause is due to print head failure for which a new print head *should* fix. These are the odds based on the information you have presented. The only way to know is either trying a new print head or have a Canon Service Tech (or person with similar abilities) examine your printer.

No guarantees, though the Forum's collective experience, gained by many others before you, places the odds of a new print head resolving your PGI-5 Pigment Ink problem as good.
Gotcha. I'm looking for a reliable source of print heads now.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So I got the proper print head from ebay and it seems that it did solve the PGBK problem :)

1.) For the BK and M bars of the nozzle check pattern though, I have a very tiny line there. Does that just mean I need to wait a few more days for the ink to sip in?

2.) Also, for newly-installed print heads do I need to run auto head alignment?

3.) When there is a low ink warning on the lcd panel of the printer when doing a nozzle check, should I replace that ink right away or should I wait for it to be empty? What's the best practice on that?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So I got the proper print head from ebay and it seems that it did solve the PGBK problem :)
Congrats! Which one did you get?

1.) For the BK and M bars of the nozzle check pattern though, I have a very tiny line there. Does that just mean I need to wait a few more days for the ink to sip in?
You should upload an image of your nozzle check. It may be that overnight the ink will settle in and all will be well. It could mean those cartridges have issues and need to be purged. If you have new cartridges then try them now. Do not keep printing over and over, or cleaning the print head over and over, or you might damage your new print head without proper ink flow. This may be a good time to purge cartridges or get new ones to safeguard your print head. Really, don't screw around.

2.) Also, for newly-installed print heads do I need to run auto head alignment?
Good idea. Do it after there is a perfect nozzle check.

3.) When there is a low ink warning on the lcd panel of the printer when doing a nozzle check, should I replace that ink right away or should I wait for it to be empty? What's the best practice on that?
Personal preference. Some refill or swap in new cartridge(s). Others, if you use a resetter and refill to OEM levels or greater, then you can wait for the cartridge to be marked as empty by the printer. Until you get more experience then it may be wise for you to refill before the cartridge is marked empty.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks. I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-NEW-QY6-...0644138?pt=US_Print_Heads&hash=item4acb6f3a2a

Ok, I'll upload a nozzle check later. Well, the thing is that those cartridges were brand new OEM cartridges even from the beginning (they were not even refilled and they are not that old). Does that mean anything? And I forgot to mention that the Magenta cartridge is a brand new replaced OEM cartridge (still full) before I even posted today.

Alright, I'll take note of the auto head alignment.

Oh ok. When there is no liquid in the repository of the cartridge, that doesn't mean it is already empty because it still have some left on those sponges, right?

Last edited:

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What do you see? Tell us your impression of your nozzle check.

Well, if you look closely on the picture the first M and the BK bars have 4 very thin white lines EACH across them and are separated by equal spaces. What do those indicate?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Why do you not use your MP830 scanner to make the image instead of your phone/camera? The image quality is poor.

I've looked closely, and I agree with your assessment, but we have had at least one instance where what you report on your end has been contradicted by what I have seen on my end. This is one reason why you need to tell us what it is you see.

Nature abhors straight lines. Intermittent deficits of ink such as in your current nozzle check is probably not from cartridge malfunction. If you are using fresh new or purged cartridges then the problem is elsewhere. If these horizontal absences of ink were present before you changed the new print head then the problem lies elsewhere than either the cartridge or the print head proper. It could be a malfunctioning logic board assay. A hail mary would be a dirty timing strip (which shows vertical deficits when printing in portrait mode).

Let the printer sit overnight with the cartridges in it and then do another nozzle check. If still having the deficits then do a software triggered cleaning and recheck the nozzle print. Then try printing something that uses these colors and scan the image and report your observations. :fl

Oh ok. When there is no liquid in the repository of the cartridge, that doesn't mean it is already empty because it still have some left on those sponges, right?
Correct, not necessarily. However, eventually you will use up available ink in the sponge and the cartridge will be effectively empty.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Why do you not use your MP830 scanner to make the image instead of your phone/camera? The image quality is poor.

I've looked closely, and I agree with your assessment, but we have had at least one instance where what you report on your end has been contradicted by what I have seen on my end. This is one reason why you need to tell us what it is you see.

Nature abhors straight lines. Intermittent deficits of ink such as in your current nozzle check is probably not from cartridge malfunction. If you are using fresh new or purged cartridges then the problem is elsewhere. If these horizontal absences of ink were present before you changed the new print head then the problem lies elsewhere than either the cartridge or the print head proper. It could be a malfunctioning logic board assay. A hail mary would be a dirty timing strip (which shows vertical deficits when printing in portrait mode).

Let the printer sit overnight with the cartridges in it and then do another nozzle check. If still having the deficits then do a software triggered cleaning and recheck the nozzle print. Then try printing something that uses these colors and scan the image and report your observations. :fl

Correct, not necessarily. However, eventually you will use up available ink in the sponge and the cartridge will be effectively empty.

Sorry about that, I should've thought about that. I'll do that from now on.

Here's the history of my printer:

1.) Before I replaced the print head, the M and BK colors were fine. The only problem was that it doesn't have the PGBK bar at all even after cleaning thoroughly with Windex.

2.) Immediately after getting the new print head, I let it dry for a while because it had the protection liquid in it and installed it in the printer.

3.) Printed a nozzle check page and the M bar was fine but the BK had some straight lines in it.

4.) Tried doing a cleaning process and auto align of print head and did another nozzle check page. Now, I'm left with the latest pattern that I just uploaded a few posts back (M and BK bars have straight lines).

So if I understand what you said above correctly, then the logic board array doesn't have any problem because the horizontal absences of ink weren't present before I changed the print head. Did I get that right?

Also, would a deep cleaning help at all?

What do you mean by this "A hail mary would be a dirty timing strip (which shows vertical deficits when printing in portrait mode) ? :)