New spectrophotometer from Konica-Minolta

Andreas S

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 3800, Epson 1400
Yes, I forgot to mention the fact that the Munki is accepted by Colornavigator. But the "new" i1Studio is not supported.
Nice to hear the software is from Konica-Minolta
The software is developped by EIZO but they are using the Konica-Minolta CMM
Do you think the EX sensors sold by EIZO - as it seems based on the Spyder - would give a better result ?
Possible. Even if the EX4 is a colorimeter and not a spectralphotometer like the Color Munki. The Color Munki has a built in UV filter, that might give less accurate result with some monitors.
Data Color devices are not as bad as often claimed. The software is crap but the hardware is allright. Their main business is the industry, the spyder is only a way to show "we are here too".

Graeme Gill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1800
The Color Munki is a "spin off" of the i1Pro Rev D with an bigger aperture. There is a physical UV filter
The Munki doesn't have a UV filter but it uses a LED light source, which doesn't emit any UV, so hence gets little OBS/FWA response. So no UV filter, but yes equivalent to having a UV filter.
and by this it can't be used with standards as FOGRA or IDEAlliance using M0 and M1. Basicly it could be used with the new FOGRA 51 standard which is M2 based, but there is still the problem with the low repeatability
Repeatability of the Munki is superior to the I1Pro, because the LED light source is more stable than the incandescent lamp used in the i1Pro Rev A-E and other similar instruments.
(The i1Pro can also have a drift problem due to tungsten migration to the lamp quartz envelope).
and the useless software provided. There are some reasons why Xrite wont make a new Color Munki, have a look at their history and you will understand.
It's unclear what you mean by that. X-Rite are certainly still making the Munki under the i1Studio label, and it remains the most affordable spectrometer with decent accuracy. It's value for money is as good and perhaps better than most other spectrometer instruments.
We are working on a project with one of their biggest worldwide distributors to give a new ability to the Color Munki (spot measurement and direct export to Adobe) and I know that even this improvement can't be distributed officialy by retailers in the US.
Gee, that capability has been available for years, if you are prepared to use 3rd party software :) :) :)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
All measurings where done in M0 mode.
White:
∆E00 = 0,0389/0,09 0,0086/0,01
Red:
∆E00 = 0,028/0,07 0,018/0,04
Blue:
∆E00 = 0,04/0,05 0,0093/0,01
Green:
∆E00 = 0,0479/0,05 0,0055/0,01

This must be a joke since 0,0389 myiro is > then 0,0086 i1pro.
The EIZO has one of the worst colorimeters built into their screens I have ever seen, with multiple customers I could not make same color temperature profiles with their inbuilt devices. What a waste of money.