"New" Canon Pro-10 showing B200 error

AdrianWoon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
2 Canon Pro-10's and 1 Pro-100
I'm appealing for any help that can be provided.. I purchased my 2nd Canon Pro-10 that was described as "new and hardly used" for a song (that probably should have been a red flag). Anyway, money and printer swapped hands. I plugged in the printer and crossed my fingers but the dreaded alternate flashing of white and amber lights started and the B200 error code came up on screen.

I called the seller and she said it was fine when she handed it over (🤔) and I probably damaged it on the drive home.

From what I'm told, they're OEM Canon setup cartridges with the original ink.

Anyhoo, I have a spare printhead handy if I need it. I'm trying to avoid sending the printer to Canon (Malaysia) as the cost quoted is astronomical.

Is there anything I can do to try and resurrect it? I tried holding down the power button when turning on the power, but with the same result - nothing but flashing white and amber lights.

(I can't find anything on how to remove the printhead either.)

Any help or advice would be most welcomed!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I called the seller and she said it was fine when she handed it over (🤔) and I probably damaged it on the drive home.
These things can happen and the B200 error is sometimes unavoidable, it’s nobody’s fault, because just turning on the printer can trigger this error to appear, but that doesn’t mean the print head is damaged or has failed.

You’ll need to thread the Pro 10 with a bit more respect, it reacts differently to holding down the power button, (Not good) so try un-plugging it from the wall socket and closing the front paper tray, this will do to start with.

Next leave it turned off for 15 minutes then turn on and when the printer responds, open the top cover only and wait, the print head should move to the centre, and if it doesn’t it may have got jammed in the parking position, most likely caused by poor transportation and handling..

Try this for now and if no success then come back and we can show you how to unlock the print head and move it to the centre position.. Small steps and lots of patients needed..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
In addition to @The Hat 's instructions (based on the PRO-9500), the PRO-10 does not move the printhead automatically to the centre position after the top cover is opened, you need to push the RESUME button (as explained on a sticker inside).

Good luck!

AdrianWoon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
These things can happen and the B200 error is sometimes unavoidable, it’s nobody’s fault, because just turning on the printer can trigger this error to appear, but that doesn’t mean the print head is damaged or has failed.

You’ll need to thread the Pro 10 with a bit more respect, it reacts differently to holding down the power button, (Not good) so try un-plugging it from the wall socket and closing the front paper tray, this will do to start with.

Next leave it turned off for 15 minutes then turn on and when the printer responds, open the top cover only and wait, the print head should move to the centre, and if it doesn’t it may have got jammed in the parking position, most likely caused by poor transportation and handling..

Try this for now and if no success then come back and we can show you how to unlock the print head and move it to the centre position.. Small steps and lots of patients needed..
Thank you so much for the quick reply!!

I was going to write "I did everything as advised, but sadly, no reaction from the printhead carriage. In fact, there's no sound at all - just a quick change from solid white light to".... and because I was unsure about whether it was solid white or slow flashing white, I turned off the printer with the cover open using the power button.

When it was off, I waited 5 seconds then pressed the power button with the cover open to turn it on. Lo and behold! the printer came back to life with the familiar whirring and clunking!!

I think it went through a lengthy cleaning cycle and now it's online with all carts showing quite a bit of ink left. What should I do next?

(You can't tell how excited and thrilled I feel right now!!)

Last edited:

AdrianWoon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
In addition to @The Hat 's instructions (based on the PRO-9500), the PRO-10 does not move the printhead automatically to the centre position after the top cover is opened, you need to push the RESUME button (as explained on a sticker inside).

Good luck!
You're absolutely right about pressing the RESUME button. But I am so thrilled that the printer came back to life instead of being a mute by just powering up the printer with the top cover open!! Not sure if that outcome's the norm, but I'll take it!

Edit: I replied The Hat's post on instructions but it's awaiting moderator approval so it doesn't show yet. I explained what I did on top of his instructions ...

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Edit: I replied The Hat's post on instructions but it's awaiting moderator approval so it doesn't show yet. I explained what I did on top of his instructions ...
Don’t hold your breath, you could be left Feckin waiting..:fl

AdrianWoon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hahaha... anyway, one of the questions I had in that post was what would be the next thing I needed to do - and I looked up that a nozzle check would be the best thing... and this was what came out...

I sincerely hope the printhead hasn't had it... (the grey line running horizontally is from the scanner)
Nozzle_check.jpg

AdrianWoon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was going to write "I did everything as advised, but sadly, no reaction from the printhead carriage. In fact, there's no sound at all - just a quick change from solid white light to".... and because I was unsure about whether it was solid white or slow flashing white, I turned off the printer with the cover open using the power button.

When it was off, I waited 5 seconds then pressed the power button with the cover open to turn it on. Lo and behold! the printer came back to life with the familiar whirring and clunking!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
For starters that’s not a nozzle check, and you shouldn’t be printing anything other than a nozzle check till you can get all the nozzle at 100%

This is a nozzle check, so stop doing any other print tests.. !
nozzle.JPG click to enlarge..

AdrianWoon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
For starters that’s not a nozzle check, and you shouldn’t be printing anything other than a nozzle check till you can get all the nozzle at 100%

This is a nozzle check, so stop doing any other print tests.. !
View attachment 12083 click to enlarge..
So my nozzle check is so bad, it doesn't even look like a nozzle check. My nozzle check I think only shows PC, R and PM when compared to the nozzle check from a Pro-10s.

Nozzle Check - Canon Pro 10s.JPG

Last edited: