NEW CANON PRINTERs and Cartridges MP630

maxse

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Guys I have a question. I am very interested in getting this new printer MP630 especially because of it's reasonable price and WIFI capability.

I already have a redsetter with an mp530 which works great.

But this new printer wil have the following new cartridges:

PGI-520BK, CLI-521BK, CLI-521C, CLI-521M, CLI-521Y.

Do you guys know if these will be resettable and work with the REDSETTER? Will these have totally new chips/design? I would appreciate some help as it fits perfect with my needs and price range. Thanks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
No, there is no chipresetter for those cartridges. In the worst case Canon might have enhance the encryption on the chip dramatically and maybe it is even not possible to refill those cartridges........
Looks like it is a new weapon of Canon to fight those affordable chipresetters to ensure enough dividend to the share holders of Canon.......
Yesterday I tried to reset a CLI-8 Yellow cartridge and the chip was broken.......and can NOT be reset. Hmmm, those older BCI-6 cartridges are way better to handle with !!!

Try to get some older models without chips like IP4000/IP5000/MP760/MP780/i965/i9950 printers with NON-chipped BCI-6/BCI-3eBK cartridges. You won't have headaches with refilling them.......

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you need WiFi, get an Airlink wifi printer server, you can use it with any printer/scanner/fax you have. The driver is perfect, using exactly the same virtual USB port of Canon driver. I've been using it with my MP600 and I'm extremely happy. The printer appears like a true USB printer, so you can even scan and very fast. Perfect solution.

You don't even need to run any software once you connected the virtual port. I use this simple script every time my computer(s) reboot, to connect the virtual port and then unload the unnecessary software:

start /B "PsMon" "PsMon.exe"
"taskKill.exe" /F /IM "PsMon.exe"

Guardian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yup, it's the same thing with Epsons. Since they introduced T0711 range we've stopped refilling them. It took us about 12 months before we've got resetter for CLI-8's, it might be the same or longer (or never) before reset option will become available on those 520etc.
And as much as I like BCI-6 range, printers that uses them are nowhere near the quality of those using CLI-8. IP4500 is my love for instance :D Resetter for CLI-8 is widely available on the net.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This is happening all over... HP are in the process of switching to Canon style chips and cartridges apparently... Epson have moved up a notch and Canon are still forging on..

I even heard that Epson are bringing out a printer that will cost Eur350 with a built in cartridge.. When it's empty you sell it back for Eur50 to deal with recycling..

Personally I think this is all going to blow up big style.. it just depends if anyone cares enough at that point or not is all.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I guess those of us who have invested in a Redsetter should start stockpiling a few printers that use CLI8 cartridges when they are on special with rebates. I know that's what I am going to do!

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
binkie said:
I guess those of us who have invested in a Redsetter should start stockpiling a few printers that use CLI8 cartridges when they are on special with rebates. I know that's what I am going to do!
I already have.Got (3) ip4200 at CCity for $39 each a year ago!I sold the ink,made a good profit on that and thus got the printers for free.Keep your eyes open as these Canons sometimes go on sale long after you think they are gone.

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm looking for an ip4200 for my son as a back up (just bought a resetter) or alike that use CLI8 carts. If you guys know where I can find one (especially local, such as BestBuy, CircuitCity, OfficeMax etc.), please post.

Update: got an old Canon S530D from a junk store for few dollars. It is printing like brand new after a heavy head clean. It uses 4 non-chip carts - no need of resetter. So, no need to buy a back up for now; when my MP600 dies, I'll just find a used one and clean the head.

maxse

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
cool thanks guys. I guess Iw ill go with a CLI-8 type printer.

Can you guys recommend an all-in-one. I already have the mp530 and I like it. But how does an mp610 compare for example?

maxse

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fixup said:
If you need WiFi, get an Airlink wifi printer server, you can use it with any printer/scanner/fax you have. The driver is perfect, using exactly the same virtual USB port of Canon driver. I've been using it with my MP600 and I'm extremely happy. The printer appears like a true USB printer, so you can even scan and very fast. Perfect solution.

You don't even need to run any software once you connected the virtual port. I use this simple script every time my computer(s) reboot, to connect the virtual port and then unload the unnecessary software:

start /B "PsMon" "PsMon.exe"
"taskKill.exe" /F /IM "PsMon.exe"
I could not find this airlink print server anywhere. Can someone help me out with this?