NEW CANON PRINTERs and Cartridges MP630

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi maxse
I have a IP4500 and redsetter with Rihac inks the perfect combo.
I also picked up an extra Ip4500 on special ($128AU)and stashed it in the shed for when I wear out the 1st one.

Redsetter $56Au
Rihac inks 5 x 100ml bottles $49.90Au

The IP4500 does a great job on printing on DVDs

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
maxse said:
I could not find this airlink print server anywhere. Can someone help me out with this?
Their website is: http://www.airlink101.com. If you are in USA, Fry's Electronics (http://www.outpost.com) usually carry almost all airlink products, where I bought my WiFi PS for only $18 on sale (usually $70). There is also an Ethernet version for about $30.

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
maxse said:
cool thanks guys. I guess Iw ill go with a CLI-8 type printer.

Can you guys recommend an all-in-one. I already have the mp530 and I like it. But how does an mp610 compare for example?
I have a MP600 which is almost identical to MP610. Compared to MP5xx, MP600 is noticeably bigger and taller, but it adds these features:

1) CD printing. You need to get/make a CD tray and enable this feature in service mode.
2) Automatic duplex. It prints one side, then pull the page back into the printer and print the other side.
3) Front (bottom) paper cassette. MP5xx only has a front paper tray.
4) Dye black for graphics in addition to a pigment black for text.

Printing speed and quality are almost the same. All Canon that use individual cartridges are good, you'll be happy with any of them. Just don't make a mistake to get a HP or Epson. HP does not have rear feeders; front feeders are nightmare when you do envelop or duplex. Epson does not have removable printer head; once clogged, it is gone.

Update: forgot about a very neat feature of MP600: I can leave the front door closed; at the beginning of a printing, the door will open automatically.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fixup said:
maxse said:
cool thanks guys. I guess Iw ill go with a CLI-8 type printer.

Can you guys recommend an all-in-one. I already have the mp530 and I like it. But how does an mp610 compare for example?
I have a MP600 which is almost identical to MP610. Compared to MP5xx, MP600 is noticeably bigger and taller, but it adds these features:
I have an MP610 and all I can say is that it's the best printer I have owned. Rear tray and bottom tray feed, print direct from CF/SD/MMC/MS will scan and do duplex printing. Ok, duplex is relatively slow, but much faster and less hassle than doing it manually. CD/DVD printing is straightforward, has own software to do this. if I had the money, I would buy a second one to hold in reserve, but since I have another Canon and an Epson, then that would be silly.

Print quality, admittedly with OEM at the moment, is superb, even on the cheapo paper, at standard photo quality. Personally, I don't know how the "best Quality" print could be better. Might try it one day.

And as a gimmick, the front out tray drops down on it's own, so no more forgetting to open the front tray and having a screwed up print trapped in the printer.

So yes, I can recommend the 610

maxse

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I ended up getting the mp830. Any comments on this? How does it compare to the printer that you guys suggested? ala mp610? I got it for a $144 which seems like a very good price.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Maxse, the MP830 is far superior to the MP610. First it has fax and ADF and second it has the superior CCD scanner technology giving much better scans than the CIS based MP610. And print quality is the same as the MP610 (both 9600 x 2400 at 1 pl droplets).

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just saw the airlink wifi printer server is once again on sale for $19.99 in Fry's:

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?adid=6937392&advid=32664&type=

This is a must for printers that does not have WiFi built in. With it you can access the printer/scanner/fax over wifi in exactly the same way as it is directly connected via USB.

Correction: sorry it is Ethernet, not WiFi. Nonetheless, it is still a decent deal and you can use the power line adapter also on sale for $24 (right beside this item).