Needle length for German Durchstich refill method

Tin Ho said:
Headphonesman, you do not need to seal the hole. .
Tin Ho I agree with all your comments. I personally have not tried the American method . My test to prove your point would be as follows:-

After successful re-fill of the reservoir (with no Orange cap as a safety stopper on the ink exit port) , I would hold the cart in an upright position for a few minutes (over a paper towel on a flat surface) to see if any ink dripped continuously from the exit port. This is the test I carry out currently with the German method.
Your point of displacement of ink through pressure of too fast an injection is correct , it happens to me from time to time and with certain carts.
I do not consider the entry holes left open by the needles in either the German or American method will dry out the sponge in any degree.
 
Where do you guys get your long needles for the German method?
 
Some of the earlier posts in this thread give some suggestions on where to get them.

Being in Australia, I wanted to source them locally and initially this was proving difficult. In the end I managed to get some through my local medical doctor. I'm not sure if this is generally allowed but my doctor was ok with it.

So if you have a good relationship with your doctor you could try them.
 
nucari said:
Some of the earlier posts in this thread give some suggestions on where to get them.

Being in Australia, I wanted to source them locally and initially this was proving difficult. In the end I managed to get some through my local medical doctor. I'm not sure if this is generally allowed but my doctor was ok with it.

So if you have a good relationship with your doctor you could try them.
Well, I have a doctor in my family and he said that they don't make long needles anymore. That all of them are 4cm long (not including the plastic hub). That may be the European standard I guess, I don't know if there are longer needles used in North America....
 
If you can find rubber plugs you can use the durchstich principle without a long needle. Just insert the needle through the rubber plug, fill slowly until the ink area is full and then remove the needle holding the rubber plug in its place with a paper towel.
 
VArious needle lengths are still being sold in the medical industry. The longer the needle the more expensive it is.

Needles available to consumers maxes out at 1.5". Longer needles require some sort of medical/state licensure prior to purchase.

A number of states in the USA have laws concerning shipping of sharp needles. This is why you can only receive blunt needles in the mail to your home in a variety of states, including the one I live in.

Since blunt needles work perfectly, despite whatever you might have heard, pretty much any blunt needle 2" and greater, 18 gauge on up, will work perfectly with the Durchstich method.

Since blunt tipped needles are used by people other than in the medical community, try looking at hobby shops and manufacturing suppliers. I purchased my needles from http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/products.php?category_id=141.

I am a physician and obtaining long sharps is a costly PITA. Most docs will not have 2" or longer needles in their offices and I'm not going to pilfer needles from the hospital for anyone. Possibly dentists and vets will have longer sharps given the nature of their work. But there is no significant advantage to sharp tipped needles, and there are more disadvantages with sharps.

Sharp or blunt - it's all good for refilling the Durchstich way. Get whatever you can, as long as it's 2" (50mm) or longer.
 
I found SPINAL needles to be excellent. These are needles used by anesthesiologists to induct spinal anesthesia (via spinal tap). Not sure about off-the-shelf availability in the USA though.
 
New user, hello everyone!

Just wanted to add my two cents to this as I got the Hobbicolors kit and decided to try my luck at the American method for the Canon catridges. I've got a Pro9000 with the CLI-8 carts, and two empties (yellow and pm). I was able to get about 1/4-1/2 full with the American method, the needle went fairly easy between the sponge and the wall, and I slowly dripped in the ink. However, once I got to the 1/4 mark or so, it started soaking into the sponge. I wasn't sure if I wasn't exactly over the hole or what, but I couldn't get any more into the resivoir even after taking the needle out and going back in again. At any rate, I'll try it again soon with the yellow and see what I can get. I poked a hole in the top with just a pushpin, was just the right size for the needle that comes with the hobbicolors ink. Thanks so much for this awesome forum, without it I'd be broke! :)

-m.
 
Has anyone experienced ink coming back out of the needle hole while refilling with the American method?
I suspect it is because it is being refilled too fast but I didn't think I could go more slowly than I was.

It filled up fine to about 20-30% full and then I started having ink come back out and drip down. :P

Using the German method with the needle fully in the ink chamber this is more unlikely to happen I think.

Any thoughts??


rflagg said:
New user, hello everyone!

Just wanted to add my two cents to this as I got the Hobbicolors kit and decided to try my luck at the American method for the Canon catridges. I've got a Pro9000 with the CLI-8 carts, and two empties (yellow and pm). I was able to get about 1/4-1/2 full with the American method, the needle went fairly easy between the sponge and the wall, and I slowly dripped in the ink. However, once I got to the 1/4 mark or so, it started soaking into the sponge. I wasn't sure if I wasn't exactly over the hole or what, but I couldn't get any more into the resivoir even after taking the needle out and going back in again. At any rate, I'll try it again soon with the yellow and see what I can get. I poked a hole in the top with just a pushpin, was just the right size for the needle that comes with the hobbicolors ink. Thanks so much for this awesome forum, without it I'd be broke! :)

-m.
 
yupkime said:
Has anyone experienced ink coming back out of the needle hole while refilling with the American method?
I suspect it is because it is being refilled too fast but I didn't think I could go more slowly than I was.

It filled up fine to about 20-30% full and then I started having ink come back out and drip down. :P

Using the German method with the needle fully in the ink chamber this is more unlikely to happen I think.

Any thoughts??
I did experience the same problem once the sponge was completely saturated, it'd start coming out of the hole.

Since then though, I picked up some 2"+ needles online, and have been pushing through underneath the sponge to inside the hole. One needle was ruined by picking up some of the sponge inside the needle, but otherwise this method has worked flawlessly - I can fill up the entire resevoir now without any problems, and the hole I make doesn't seem to leak at all into the printer. Best of luck to you, let me know if you have any more questions!

-m.
 
Back
Top