Needle length for German Durchstich refill method

NickC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Slightly longer than 2.5" 20g needles now obtained (in the UK) and tested, cost around a couple of pints in the pub. Works fine but a little difficult to get the angle right to meet the hole in the partition wall. Wonder if next time I might try going along the plastic at the side so I can see where the needle is headed.

One other thing I found was that I could suck a lot of the residue ink out of the spong before starting to refill.

Have fun,
Nick

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
NickC it would be nice if you can make filling from the upper back side of the cartridge work.

You could drill a hole and put in a rubber plug and use the hole to fill and flush.
That way no holes would be necessary on the top of the cartridge for flushing.

The NickC fill and flush system.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I think the problem with NickC refilling method is the last half cm when the needle should make a rather sharp angle to enter the ink compartment. Not only your syringe tip will wear out very quickly (causing metal fatique by repeatingly bending the needle), but the likelihood of the sponge might be pressed down every time is very high (impairing flow proberties, as the density of the pressed down sponge material becomes greater ?), because the needle is forced to bent down when you force the needle to enter the ink compartment.