Need info on refilling Canon MP620 cartridges

balloonshark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Could be the chip malfunctioned or has been damaged. Doubt the resetter is the problem since the other chips were reset, but anything is possible I guess. If this is from an aftermarket cartridge/chip, that could be the reason - incompatibility or lax manufacturing standards. The forum strongly advises all OEM cartridges for multiple reasons.
It is the original OEM cartridge that came with this reburbished printer.

You say that Yellow wasn't recognized but then say the other colors printed a "test pattern". What is this "test pattern"? You should only be printing nozzle checks until all cartridges are working. Also, it is my understanding that chiped-cartridge Canon's won't print unless all cartridges are "recognized" and the chip is not marked as empty (or an override has been performed). How did you get it to print if Yellow is not "recognized"?
Sorry, I meant nozzle check. The weird part is that the printer is showing the yellow ink level as full but when I open the printer the red ink lamp is off for the yellow. In all honesty 3 of my cartridge ink tanks were dry and the printer has been sitting for well over a month while I gathered info on how to fill cartridges. I'm really hoping it's not a clogged print head but seeing how the other colors work it could be that I screwed up the cartridge.

l_d_allan, Thanks for the tip on RJetTek! As you can see I still need hand holding but perhaps I'll consider them when my existing ink supply runs out. Hopefully they have reasonable shipping rates.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So... ALL the cartridges are putting out ink, ie ALL colors are represented in the nozzle check?

Can you post your nozzle check? Scan or take a picture and post on the thread using the "Upload" function from the list above.

balloonshark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I'm trying to purge the yellow tank. I'm running water in the outlet but it's not coming out the hole the ball was in. I can't really build anything with tubing so I need to find another solution that I have on hand.

Yellow did not show up on the nozzle checks. All other colors were fine. They were a bit light but not streaked.

Edit: I threw away the nozzle checks this morning or I would have uploaded a pic of them.

I may also give this method of purging a try. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41062#p41062

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
balloonshark said:
Sorry for the late reply. I'm trying to purge the yellow tank. I'm running water in the outlet but it's not coming out the hole the ball was in. I can't really build anything with tubing so I need to find another solution that I have on hand.
Sounds like a really serious clogged sponge. Water should pass thru from the outlet. thru the tank, and out that hole very easily. May be time for a different cart. I seem to see alot of trouble with the yellow :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
balloonshark said:
Purging the cartridge is one thing. Getting rid of the amoeba inside of it is another. If you can suck up or spear that sucker inside the cartridge and pull it out through the purge hole then great.

Or, you can quit messing around and get a new OEM Canon Yellow cartridge. This damaged one may never work consistently. Also, you don't know for sure if the problem IS the cartridge yet, since you have not been able to print Yellow at all. Not using your printer for over a month could spell problems with the print head, plus or minus problems with a cartridge(s). If a new OEM Canon cartridge does not work then the problem is with the print head or the printer itself.

balloonshark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried purging the cartridge by sucking in water and forcing it out with a syringe for over an hour and I'm still getting yellow ink to slowly come out. The ink won't flow at all just by water pressure alone.

I think I'll go ahead and order a new one as you suggested and be done with this mess. I just hope that my other cartridges aren't in the same shape but I can't tell because they are darker inks. Only time will tell.

Thanks again to everyone for your help! stratman, you deserve a medal for your patience :cool:.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If the nozzle check is printing the other colors, then those cartridges appear to be working, hopefully properly. Until we see a nozzle check on the forum, we can't guide you precisely. If everything seems to be working to your satisfaction after you install the new OEM Canon Yellow cartridge then you do not need to post a nozzle check. Let us know either way how things work out.

While waiting for the new cartridge, put ALL cartridges back into the print head to prevent clogs from drying ink in the print head.

Thanks and Good luck!

balloonshark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My cartridge arrived today. I bought it off of a guy on ebay who bought the wrong cannon cartridge. He said the orange cap was still on it but when it arrived it was taped in place. Other then that it looks new.

I tried printing a nozzle check with no yellow showing. I then tried to run one clean cycle and then another nozzle check which I uploaded below. The yellow cartridge does show full on my computer, the printer and the red light on the cartridge itself is lit which is an improvement. Also, the uploaded pic shows the colors as a bit faded but it's not noticeable on the actual nozzle check.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. My inks did come with print head flushing instructions if you think that should be the next step. Otherwise please advise me of the next step as I'm afraid to keep trying cleaning cycles because I'm not sure if it will hurt the print head or not.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Since there is no yellow and since the seller misrepresented his item claiming that it had not been used when there is evidence that it had been, I would ask for my money back and if he refuses, I would file a claim with eBay.

balloonshark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There was only evidence that the orange cap had been twisted off. I have no idea if it had been used but the guy does have 100% positive feedback with over 1400 transactions. I would like to believe him even though his wording was a bit "off".

Either way I would like to try and get that cartridge to work. Should I try more cleanings or a specific type of cleaning or is it time to remove and clean the print head which I've been dreading?