OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a Canon MX7600 - I got it at a really good price
It uses PGI-9 inks

But... the ink cartridges are blacked out apart from a small window

I haven't opened the cartridges yet

Is it possible to refill?
I'm thinking of just selling the printer on eBay if I can't refill!

EDIT: I'd also add that I've read through other posts on this forum - all I can find is older posts - from 2 years or so ago

Thanks

Omar

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I am ignorant about the MX7600 other than what I read on the Canon web page ... so "consider the source".

My understanding is that it uses 5 PGI-9 cartridges (CMYK and Clear) and a PGI-7 Pigment black. It seems like a pigment version of something like an iP4500, except it has pigment colors instead of dye. Also, it has a cart for Clear which I think "preps" the surface of photo papers to better accept pigment ink. I believe the Canon Pro 9500 Mark 1 and Mark 2 use PGI-9 carts.

Do you have experience with refilling carts of dye-based Canon printers, like BCI-6 or CLI-8 based printers?

I wasn't aware that PGI-9 carts were opaque. It may be that the "small window" you mention is sufficient to be able to see enough to refill with the top-refill method or the German refill method. I haven't seen any close-up pictures of PGI-9 carts, including illustrations from eBay vendors. Is the opaque window at the top, bottom, or along the side? If along the side, does it extend from the top to the bottom? You might try purging/flushing a few empty carts and then refilling with distilled water just to get experience with PGI-9 carts.

[Edit] ... It appears that CLI-8 and PGI-9 carts aren't at all compatible ... disregard following paragraph.
My speculation is that the PGI-9 carts are the same size as CLI-8 carts. I'm not really advocating this, but you could try using CLI-8 carts, and swap the chips from the PGI-9 to the CLI-8 carts. However, the sponges/foam in the CLI-8 carts might not be all that compatible with pigment ink.

Otherwise, I'd sell the printer ... being restricted to Canon oem ink would be too expensive for a hobby'ist like myself ... not justified imo unless you were a professional selling archival longevity prints ... and then you'd probably want something like a 9500. I'd be hesitant to use non-oem cartridges for refilling. Seems like the best use for a MX7600 would be as a backup to a 9500 for those who really want pigment rather than dye.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
thanks for a great reply
i've sold the printer on ebay
(would have made a small profit if i hadn't chosen to give 10% of profits to a charity - which i was happy to do anyway)

for your info: the window was in the middle of the side

pigment? dye? what's the difference!
sorry for my ignorance
(i'm a refill master wannabe - just started - just about to refill my first ink cartridge for my mp640!!)

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OM2 said:
pigment? dye? what's the difference!
My understanding is that pigment ink tends to have better longevity than dye ink. If you are a pro selling photos to people who expect the pictures to be fade resistant, you should use pigment ink.

I believe that dye ink tends to be more colorful and vivid. It tends to resist print-head clogs better than dye ink, which makes it much easier to work with. If you print a lot, with few days between print sessions, then my reading indicates you might be ok with pigment. Otherwise, dye ink will have far fewer clog problems.

My impression is that a natural progression is to start with a dye based printer, and if you get to the point of printing a lot, and wanting/needing archival longevity, you eventually get a pigment based printer. I believe the latest Epson printers like the 3880 have coated nozzles so clogging is less of an issue.

sorry for my ignorance
(i'm a refill master wannabe - just started - just about to refill my first ink cartridge for my mp640!!)
We all were at first. Refilling is pretty intimidating when starting. With a great resource like nifty-stuff, I tend to be the opposite of the A. Lincoln quote:
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
I think it is foolish to not ask questions, especially at first when everyone understands you are a newbie. However, I know I have been guilty of asking questions out of laziness when I could have done my own research with Google, or better, searching on nifty-stuff.

The mp640 looks like a nice, fairly modern all-in-one. I'm not that familiar with the 221 dye carts it uses. I believe there is a resetter for it. I believe I read somewhere that the ink capacity is less than the BCI-6 and CLI-8 carts, which would be a liability if you do quite a bit of printing.

I'd suggest updating your profile to show what printer you have, and where you are located.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the reply
a lot of useful info :)

i did actually look info on the mx7600 and refilling before i asked on here
information was very scarce - no one else in the world seemed to have any information!!

i'll update my profile to show details - thanks for pointing that out

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have Canon Pro9500 which use PCI-9 cart and i found the best to refill for me is use the syringes to drop ink one by one into the out let port of the cart . Maybe it give you some idea .
You can take a look on this thread http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5858
By the way, CLI-8 cart totally difference with PCI-9 .

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
siusiuenen said:
I have Canon Pro9500 which use PCI-9 cart and i found the best to refill for me is use the syringes to drop ink one by one into the out let port of the cart . Maybe it give you some idea
Out of curiousity, I wonder how long that takes. Including setup, doing a few carts, and clean-up? How much ink can you get into the cart ... is there a reservoir and sponge/foam side on the PGI-9 carts like the CLI-8 carts? Does the reservoir end up pretty well filled?

I believe that the OP has sold the 7600.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
l_d_allan How much ink can you get into the cart ... is there a reservoir and sponge/foam side on the PGI-9 carts like the CLI-8 carts? Does the reservoir end up pretty well filled?
siusiuenen By the way, CLI-8 cart totally difference with PCI-9 .
As stated earlier the PGI-9 cartridges are not compatible with CLI-8s or even a close relative of them.
They dont have sponges or reservoirs in them and are opaque alright, nor do they have any air intake holes.

The window in them is of little use and cant be used to aid refilling also there is a resetter for most of the cartridges.
The unique design of the PGI9 cartridge allows filling to 98% full with 15 grams of ink with no problems
and they have never leaked or clogged to date..:)

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
siusiuenen said:
I have Canon Pro9500 which use PCI-9 cart and i found the best to refill for me is use the syringes to drop ink one by one into the out let port of the cart . Maybe it give you some idea
Out of curiousity, I wonder how long that takes. Including setup, doing a few carts, and clean-up? How much ink can you get into the cart ... is there a reservoir and sponge/foam side on the PGI-9 carts like the CLI-8 carts? Does the reservoir end up pretty well filled?

I believe that the OP has sold the 7600.
The process is very quick and it can take 14ml-15ml but you could go for 13ml just for safe . You could tell when cart is full . It's doesn't mess at all if you have steady hand and don't overfill .