Need advice refilling Canon MX7600 - uses PGI-9 inks

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
OM2 said:
...the ink cartridges are blacked out apart from a small window.... Is it possible to refill?
Too late, since you sold the printer, but of course it is. If you drill a hole in the top of the ink chamber, do you think you will be able to determine the ink level? I certainly hope so. :D

Now here's a second problem, which is only a little bit harder. Joe the thrifty refiller has a completely opaque cartridge. Even the ink level prism is opaque. If Joe drills a hole in the side and passes a needle through the sponge, sticking the tip into the ink chamber, how can he can tell if the ink chamber is full?

Here's a third problem. You have a cartridge that has a transparent prism in the bottom for determining the ink level. Can you tell how much ink is in the chamber?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla If you drill a hole in the top of the ink chamber, do you think you will be able to determine the ink level? I certainly hope so.
Drilling a hole in the top of these cartridges will render them useless and they
will leak all over the place + there is no sponge inside either..:|

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Hat said:
ThrillaMozilla If you drill a hole in the top of the ink chamber, do you think you will be able to determine the ink level? I certainly hope so.
Drilling a hole in the top of these cartridges will render them useless and they
will leak all over the place + there is no sponge inside either..:|
Interesting! Bags. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4746&p=3 #24.

My remarks do apply to cartridges with sponges and reservoirs, however. I commented because I noticed people were anguishing over that one. In a way my remarks apply to the PGI-9 cartridges as well. Being totally ignorant of the cartridge, I just put the hole in the wrong place. :rolleyes: oops

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I see, you click on the time and date. Not very obvious, but it works.

honkey dong

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Refilling PGI-9 carts are ridiculously simple. Fill your syringe (sans needle) with around 14ml of ink, flip the cart on it's back and apply a steady flow of drops directly onto the sponge, the liquid is absorbed into the cart practically instantly and I personally fill a PGI-9 cart with 13-14ml of ink in around 12 seconds give or take. You could get your child to do it (My son does, and he's 6 years old).

Use the Auto Reset Chips from the ebay seller: cisschina
I personally wouldn't use the refill carts he is peddling, I have them here and well, they're junk - To look at anyway, I did try fitting them into my PRO9500 and they were a little loose/ill fitting. The simplicity and ease of filling the well designed and engineered OEM PGI-9 cart makes any aftermarket item produced redundant (read: a complete waste of time, money, and resources) anyway. I just pryed the chips off the Canon carts and replaced with the Auto Rest Chips I pried off the supplied refill carts from cisschina.

Regardless of how and what you want to get inks into your PGI-9 carts, those reset chips are GOLD!
It's as simple as pulling the cart, squirting ink onto the sponge pad on the bottom, and throwing the cart back into the slot.

*EDIT: for horrendous grammatical errors.