Need a printer for 10,000 (moderate quality) 13x19 prints a year

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for reading my post!

We've had a decade of bad printer luck and I'm hoping you guys can recommend a good alternative.

About Us
  1. We print 13x19 art prints -- on 13x19 pre-cut canvas inkjet paper. Can't change this requirement. e.g. we can't use printer rolls.
  2. We need to print about 10,000 pages per year. They're not "fine art prints" - just for kids
  3. The ink does not need to be totally archival. But the cheap clone cartridges we buy on Amazon don't last long. So we buy the re-fillables like https://ebay.com/itm/201362489925
  4. We've used the Artisan 1420 and the Canon Pixma iX6820 wish some success (and a lot of tears)
  5. The biggest problem for us is that the cartridges of both these printers are small. We are sick of swapping them out so often. So i guess we need a printer with bigger cartridges
  6. We're Photoshop people but not hardware people unfortunately. So we have a limited knowledge of cleaning and maintenance and ink types.

We love that the Canon Pixma iX6820 has only 4 colors to swap. But we hate that we have to swap them so often.

Can someone recommend a better (Super Easy To Use) 13x19 printer + ink solution?

Thanks so much!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's not clear where you are located; what is the weight of you paper ? I would recommend that you look to Epson Ecotank printers which will give you much more convenience for the refilling process, and genuine Epson inks in bottles are affordable and have a better fading persistence. Epson has an ET8550 A3 printer - ET = Ecotank which is brandnew and just announced, or you look for ET-models for business applications which are available as well as A3 models like the ET-16150 and similar, these offer higher speed, pigment inks which may support you with more stable pigment inks - marker resistant , but these printers are more expensive to start with, the consumables remain at a very low pricing level.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's not clear where you are located; what is the weight of you paper ? I would recommend that you look to Epson Ecotank printers which will give you much more convenience for the refilling process, and genuine Epson inks in bottles are affordable and have a better fading persistence. Epson has an ET8550 A3 printer - ET = Ecotank which is brandnew and just announced, or you look for ET-models for business applications which are available as well as A3 models like the ET-16150 and similar, these offer higher speed, pigment inks which may support you with more stable pigment inks - marker resistant , but these printers are more expensive to start with, the consumables remain at a very low pricing level.
Thanks

The paper is:
https://www.compandsave.com/paper/photo-paper/canvas/11x17-100-sheet
photo papers only weigh between 200 - 240g, our Premium Canvas Textured Photo Paper weighs 260g (or 69 lb).

I live in USA

I'm having trouble locating the model numbers of the printers you quoted. I'm assuming these are European models?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
This market segregation by the printer companies makes it sometimes difficult to quote the matching models to you, you may have a look here

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers...mat-All-in-One-Supertank-Printer/p/C11CH71201
and there should be an ET-16600 as well

or this one

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B08M...ld=1&keywords=epson+et&qid=1620036356&sr=8-30

I don't know if the ET-8550 is announced yet in the U.S. , but you may look up the specs in other regions, it may come soon in your area as well

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/pr...or-home/ecotank-et-8550?productfinder=et-8550

Or you are able to find a Epson L1800 which is as well an A3+ photo printer with dye inks

https://www.epson.eu/de/products/printers/inkjet-printers/for-home/ecotank-l1800

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You may try to find a location, a shop, a dealer where you can test how your papers are feeding - it could be that it does not work out of all paper bins , it is difficult to say it upfront just by the weight, stiffness is as well relevant, and the grip on the backside in some cases.

I would not go for 3rd party inks on such a printer for warranty reasons, I think the Epson inks have a fair price already.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You may try to find a location, a shop, a dealer where you can test how your papers are feeding - it could be that it does not work out of all paper bins , it is difficult to say it upfront just by the weight, stiffness is as well relevant, and the grip on the backside in some cases.

I would not go for 3rd party inks on such a printer for warranty reasons, I think the Epson inks have a fair price already.
yes paper feeding is definitely an issue

The Epson EcoTank Pro ET-16600 has a small rear feeder slot. But i don't think we could put more than 3-4 pages in there. (Maybe I could jerry rig my own SIY rear slot though... hmm... I could build some sort of paper shelf...)

It looks like the Epson L1800 is much more like what i need. They don't sell them in USA but it looks like i can buy them on eBay for 1000 from Taiwan.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why don’t you look into getting a second hand Pro 100 or Pro 10, they can handle every one of your needs x 10…

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Why don’t you look into getting a second hand Pro 100 or Pro 10, they can handle every one of your needs x 10…

thanks

it looks like the PIXMA PRO-100 takes a lot of little cartridges though.

What sort of CISS or refillable system would i be using?

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Looks like there is also the:
  1. Epson Expression Premium ET-7750 (11x17)
  2. EcoTank ET-15000 (13x19)

Latest posts