Need 1 Red & 1 Green Oem Cli-8 Cart Or Chips

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for 2 virgin empty oem cli-8 carts red and green, OR the 2 OEM chips for these carts.
I have emty purged oem cli-8 carts, ready for the German Durchstich method, in case you would need those.
Someone able to help me out ?
Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you live in the USA, you can sign up for rewards at Staples and take ten of the cartridges you don't want and recycle them for $3 each and in less than two months, you can almost "buy" two new CLI-8 cartridges for free. If you take another ten next month, then in three months you can start getting cartridges for free-no money exchanged.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I saw a post about that yesterday, lol....I was already counting the carts...! I live in Canada, and Staples has changed their rewards program, at least here in Quebec. There are drop containers in the stores, but that is it, we can " drop " the carts for free, lucky us... The money goes to school programs as I understand.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
marceltho said:
I saw a post about that yesterday, lol....I was already counting the carts...! I live in Canada, and Staples has changed their rewards program, at least here in Quebec. There are drop containers in the stores, but that is it, we can " drop " the carts for free, lucky us... The money goes to school programs as I understand.
It is Canada wide. Staples Canada used to run promotion - a package of 500 sheet 8.5x11 paper exchange for the cartridges with integral printhead like HP.

I emailed them a few months ago. They still accept ink cartridges to recycle. But no compensation similar to US program.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately the R & G are used so little in the Pro9000 that there aren't many empty cartridges around. There is an E-Bay posting right now for two R and two G full Canon OEM cartridges for $28 including postage but I am not sure he will send to Canada. That is not a bad price - tempted but I do have two of each right now. Maybe I will take some extra cartridges into Staples and get an extra set from them after the rewards come through.

Steve W.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Actually I never understood why Canon uses the red (which is actuallly orange) and green to increase gamut. With the standard CcMmYK 6-color system the results are already more than satisfying. The idea of the R & G is to mimick the Pantone printing system (CMYKRG). But I think they should have replaced them with grey and light grey, so you can produce true neutral B/W prints.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I started using the Pro 9000 Mark ii two weeks ago, with the OEM inks and carts in it.
I have already my extra virging ( and purged ) spare carts ready, only not the red and green.

I want to switch over to Hobbicolors, any idea if I could leave the OEM red and green for now, and switch only the other colors ?

I went to Staples ( Bureau en gros overhere....), but as I said...only containers, but we can drop for free.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
marceltho said:
I started using the Pro 9000 Mark ii two weeks ago, with the OEM inks and carts in it.
I have already my extra virging ( and purged ) spare carts ready, only not the red and green.

I want to switch over to Hobbicolors, any idea if I could leave the OEM red and green for now, and switch only the other colors ?
Depends on a couple of things. Any switch from Canon OEM ink and paper to something different may require new printer profiles - depending on how critical you are of your prints and what application you are using to print from. Yes - you can keep your OEM R and G cartridges in until they become empty - Hobbicolors and Canon OEM inks are both dye based and will mix.
If you are critical of your print output or wish to use many non-Canon papers you will eventually want to enter the world of "printer profiling". :p That is where the fun happens and the money goes as a few of us on this forum can attest to. Good luck - the savings from refilling will quickly pay for printer profiling hardware/software if that is the route you decide on.

Steve W.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I know what you mean on30trainman, and I was pretty lucky ( until now ). I bought the printer mainly to print 60 high end borderless brochures, and 6 - 7 times a different one per year. I started with glossy brochure paper from HP, and the colors of the print were of course not the same. So I kept this first print next to my sceen, and changed my screen until it was the same as the print. Did some tests with other pictures, and overall I was very happy with that.

But that was with the OEM ink from Canon, and I want to swith to Hobbicolors, the cyan is getting less, and for the magenta the printer is giving the first warning.

Here is my plan: Except for the red and green, I will change all colors at the same time. I know I will lose some OEM ink with that, but I can try to do the same as with the first print, try the profiles that I have, see if I can improve with adjusting my screen. If this would be acceptable, I can go for a long time, as the red and green don't go down that fast.

Eventually if I use all colors and I am not happy, I will focus on the ICC part.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You may discover your red and green last a long time, especially if your printer is similar to the i9900 which I did some tests on to see what papers actually use the red and green. You can read about it here.