MYSTERY - Refillable Cartridges No Longer Work in Canon MX922

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As long as the light is blinking slowly, there is nothing you can do. You just make sure there is ink in the cartridge and continue to use it. When the warning on the screen pops up with a RED background, then the chip will reset itself to FULL. There is nothing you can do to stop the blinking until the chip gets used some more till empty.

Of course the FULL will not blink because that is the way it is supposed to be.
The chip goes through three stages. Full to Low. No Blinks. Solid. Then Low to Empty - Blinks and wants you to purchase another cartridge via screen Yellow background. Finally it hits empty and the red screen comes up. Remove and replace and you are back to full to low stage no blinks. You cannot shortcircuit this process to jump to another stage. You HAVE to move through each one.

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Finally I BELIEVE that I understand what happens.

You explanation explains why when I replaced a cart that was already registering RED, the non-OEM replacement did not blink and the printer indicated FULL for that cart. Your explanation also explains why when I replaced a cart that was only indicating LOW, the non-OEM replacement did not reset to register FULL.
--------------------------------------------------POSSIBLE EXCEPTIONAL BEHAVIOR FOR OEM CART------------------------------------------------------------
I assume the system makes an exception if a cart was blinking & indicating LOW and THEN I replaced with an OEM cart.
In that case it does seem to reset to FULL.[If this is correct the system does see the CHIP in an OEM cartridge somewhat differently from a refillable cart's CHIP]**

If I wait until the system indicates RED for a CART and then I replace[as soon as printing a job completes] the cart with a full non OEM one, do I risk damaging the print head?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** The reason I assume this behavior is: The CYAN cart was indicating LOW[Yellow !]. I tried replacing with a full non-OEM cart. It blinked and did not reset to Full. I removed the non-OEM cart.
When I put a CYAN OEM cartridge in, the light stop blinking[was steady] and the printer reset CYAN to FULL.
------------------------------------------------------------------------MANY THANKS-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for taking time to explain these behaviors to me.