Mysterious chip / sensor in Canon ix6820

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
Hello,

While disassembling my Canon printer, I've found I had to move away a little chip that prevented me from taking the printer's top cover.

I touched the PCB while the printer was on and fear I have damaged something. I would like to know what is actually does.

This is how it looks :

Canon-Module-Board-LED-Board-QM7-2991-QK19163-01.jpg

Modulo-Board-Led-Board-QM7-2994-QM7-2991-Stampante-_1.jpg

Where it is located :

img55.jpg

It is plugged in the main mother board and is isolated in a little empty "trunk". There is a big plastic cover as you can see but it is actually very small. There is almost no information about it online... I have found old ebay pages stating it is an "ink tank sensor", but what could it actually detect / do ?

Thank you

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think it detects the light from the cartridge LEDs when they pass the sensor at start up. If the light from one or more cartridge LEDs is not detected an error message is given that a cartridge cannot be recognised.

I think the function is the same as in this older printer.

At least it looks like the part is available and affordable if you need one.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It could also be to detect when the top lid is open because they had a similar device fitted to the old iP4700, and that was to prevent the use of a CISS..

If the lid was open by as much as 10mm, the printer would not function, I covered the area with black tape which neutralised the light sensor..
The iP4700 was the start of the new desktop models from Canon to attack the Refillers..

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
I think it detects the light from the cartridge LEDs when they pass the sensor at start up. If the light from one or more cartridge LEDs is not detected an error message is given that a cartridge cannot be recognised.

I think the function is the same as in this older printer.

At least it looks like the part is available and affordable if you need one.

Well, there is no hole for a sensor to see light through in the "trunk" where the sensor sits... Could be magnetic detection ? But why would they put this sensor since there are already chips on each ink cartdridge that let the printer know they are inserted ?

Also, it is not the WLAN card, because this card is located on the right front corner.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you read the type number of IC1? Maybe Google can tell what it is if it is not a custom type number?

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
PeterBJ, you were right!

After checking with a magnifier, it actually is an optical sensor, the sensor is so tiny you can barely spot it. There is a tiny hole in the trunk facing the ink led lights at the bottom

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Some newer printers have a low and flat design. I think Canon chose this design of the optical cartridge sensor to avoid increasing the height of the printer.