My thoughts before buying a new printer

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
@ Osage,

Again, thanks for the detailed reply. Please tell me if I understood you correctly:

Canon and HP's new printers now come with this "chip" technology which prevents (or at least discourages) 3rd party cartridges or refilling OEM cartridges (what does OEM mean again?), a technology that the printer makers hope will allow them to make more money. HP's 5740 can be defeated by using 5 or more cartridges and rotating them, Canon can be defeated by going through nag screens (what do you mean by that?) and losing the ink monitoring system. Is that correct?

I found a store that sells iP4000 on an order basis - which means they don't have it at stock, but can order it for me if I buy it. Plus, that store allows me to buy the printer via installment plan method! Whoo!! However, the printer comes down to approximately US$176... much more expensive than you say it is... getting it via installment for 6 months means it'll boil down to about US$215.

Anyway, a few more questions on the iP4000:
1. This printer comes WITHOUT that dang "chip" technology, right?

2. The OEM cartridges aren't really "expensive" (surprise for me!) but I'd still like to do my own refills for even more savings - I print a lot of things and quite picky about quality. How hard is it to refill the inks on this printer?

3. Would you advise against 3rd party refill cartridges/using 3rd party inks during the 1-year warranty period? Again, for the savings reason, I don't think I can do one year using only OEM cartridges.

4. About how long is this printer's expected life, and how much pages is recommended for it to print per month? I just heard from HP telling me that the 3920/3940 is 500 pages per month for an expected life span of 2-3 years. I figure it'll last me 1-1.5 years before it breaks down.... not good. The 3920/3940 is definitely disposable.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!